As refugees flood back to their war-ravaged villages, Hezbollah has flung itself to the front of the burgeoning reconstruction effort in southern Lebanon, funded with a deluge of petro-dollars from neighboring Iran.
"We want to bring south Lebanon back to life and rebuild it better than it was before the war," said Nabil Kaouk, Hezbollah's top official in southern Lebanon, standing before the group's flattened headquarters building in Tyre.
In nearby villages, his supporters were already hard at work. Hezbollah activists in T-shirts and green caps cleared rubble-strewn roads and piles of rotting refuse and ferried the dead and wounded through the scrub-covered hills in shiny modern ambulances.
PHOTO: AP
But the most extravagant element of Hezbollah's plan is to provide a year's rent and a set of new furniture for every family whose house has been destroyed. The promise was made by Hezbollah's leader, Hassan Nasrallah, within hours of Monday's ceasefire.
The housing scheme will benefit 15,000 families, Nasrallah said, and will cost up to US$150 million, according to one estimate. Funding will come from oil-rich Iran, which until now has mostly supplied Hezbollah with thousands of missiles used against Israel.
On Wednesday in Beirut, hun-dreds of refugees shuffled through a registration center where officials noted their losses and made promises of help. The cash will be spent in towns such as Bint Jbail, near the southern border, where entire neighborhoods have been razed.
"There is no central government presence here. Hezbollah is doing everything," said local official Hamed Harab, standing outside the bomb-pocked town hospital.
Behind him stood a group of trim young men in dark t-shirts who refused to have their photographs taken. They watched a stream of overloaded cars carrying residents home.
"The people want things to move quickly. They know that we can deliver," he said.
This multimillion dollar aid drive marks a new phase in Hezbollah's struggle. The militant group has already won admiration across the Arab world for its fierce resistance to Israeli attack.
Now it is fighting to retain the support of Lebanon's Shia Muslims, who constitute about one-third of the population, and to maintain the "state within a state" that allowed the militant group to develop the military arsenal and network of village bunkers that thwarted the Israeli invasion.
The success of this strategy is evident from the proclamations of undying loyalty, even from families who have lost everything.
"When Sayed Hassan [Nasrallah] speaks, we listen," said Amar Balhas outside the remains of his house. "If he asks, I will give my life for Hezbollah."
But other residents are shocked by the destruction that Hezbollah's belligerence has wrought on their already impoverished lives.
"I will be sleeping in the streets tonight," said Nohead Hamoud, 46, on Wednesday after arriving in Bent Jbail to find a pile of broken bricks and furniture where her home once stood.
She cringed in fear as an Israeli fighter jet roared overhead.
Asked her opinion of Hezbollah's popularity, she replied, tersely: "That is a question I cannot answer."
Some fear the housing scheme will further weaken the influence of the central government in Hezbollah strongholds, deepening rifts between Lebanon's rival religious confessions.
Some Christian and Druze leaders resent Hezbollah's autonomy and have called for it to disarm.
That tension is one of several problems facing the 30,000-strong peacekeeping force in the process of deployment. Of this pool, foreign countries are due to contribute a total of 13,000 troops.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying