China's death toll from Tropical Storm Prapiroon jumped yesterday to 48, with 15 more people missing, after the storm knocked down houses and set off landslides and flash floods, news reports said.
Deaths were reported in Guangdong Province, where Prapiroon roared ashore on Thursday, and the neighboring Guangxi region to the west, the Xinhua News Agency said. It said 46,000 houses were destroyed, and damage was estimated at 2.4 billion yuan (US$300 million).
The deaths came despite a massive evacuation ahead of the storm that moved more than 400,000 people out of threatened areas.
Fatalities in Guangxi included six migrant farm workers whose shelter was swept away by a flash flood in the city of Laibin, Xinhua said.
Elsewhere, people were reported buried by landslides, struck by lightning and crushed by collapsed walls. A woman died after being hit by a billboard knocked down by high winds.
In Guangdong, a 25-year-old policeman doing rescue work was killed when he was buried by a mudslide in the city of Sihui, the Guangzhou Daily newspaper said. A front-page photo showed rescue workers in Sihui carrying a woman through churning, waist-deep water.
State television showed soldiers and police carrying children through racing, chest-deep water. Photos on Web sites showed wrecked buildings, uprooted trees and flooded farmland.
Heavy rain and high winds were forecast through yesterday across the provinces of Guangdong, Fujian, Jiangxi, Hunan and Hainan, China's southernmost island and a popular tourist destination.
Some of those areas were still recovering from Tropical Storm Bilis, which killed more than 600 people in the country, many of them in Hunan.
Crowded Guangdong, the center of China's export-driven manufacturing industries, has been especially hard hit this year during a typhoon season that authorities warned would be worse than usual.
The city of Lechang in Guangdong has suffered 46 deaths since late June, with 65 people still missing, according to government statistics. More than 30,000 houses in the city have also been destroyed.
The Web site of Guangdong's provincial government said officials had sent 11 million mobile phone text messages to warn the public of the storm's arrival -- standard procedure over the past year.
TARNISHED LEGACY: Woodrow Wilson served as the university’s president before becoming the US’ 28th leader, but his racism was ‘significant and consequential’ Princeton University is removing former US president Woodrow Wilson’s name from its public policy school and one of its residential colleges after trustees concluded that the 28th president’s “racist thinking and policies” made him “an inappropriate namesake.” The Ivy League school’s trustees made the decision on Friday, according to a statement on Saturday. It comes at a time of widespread rethinking of the US’ racial legacy. The Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement, energized by a series of high-profile deaths of black Americans, has resulted in the removal of Confederate monuments, flags and symbols of racism across the US. Deleting Wilson’s name at Princeton
‘FULLY ENCLOSED’: Residents of Anxin County would be confined to their homes and would only be allowed out once a day to buy necessities such as food and medicine China yesterday imposed a strict lockdown on nearly half a million people near the capital to contain a fresh COVID-19 cluster as authorities warned the outbreak was still “severe and complicated.” After China largely brought the virus under control, hundreds have been infected in Beijing and cases have emerged in Hebei Province. Health officials said that Anxin County — about 150km from Beijing — would be “fully enclosed and controlled,” the same strict measures imposed at the height of the pandemic in the city of Wuhan earlier this year. Only one person from each family would be allowed to go out once a
Japan said it opposed changes to the G7 nations as it pushed back against a reform plan by US President Donald Trump that would have rival South Korea this year join in an expanded meeting. Tokyo has told the US it stands against South Korea’s participation on the grounds of differences in policy on China and North Korea, Kyodo News reported this weekend, citing more than one source related to Japanese and US diplomacy. Japan also wants to maintain its status as the only Asian country in the group, the news agency added. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga yesterday told reporters that
The onset of summer has sparked a rise in incidents of “mask rage” in South Korea as more hot and bothered commuters either refuse to wear face coverings or leave parts of their faces exposed. In South Korea, Japan and other countries in East Asia, widespread mask wearing has been cited as one possible explanation for the region’s relative success in bringing the COVID-19 pandemic under control. South Korea, one of the first countries outside China to be affected by the virus, flattened the coronavirus curve in April, although it is now struggling with dozens of daily cases, mainly in and around