Mexico has called a US proposal to extend walls along the US border unacceptable and is seeking the international community's support to block the measure.
Mexico raised the stakes in the battle against the bill, approved by the House of Representatives last week, by hiring a US public relations firm and encouraging a separate US lobbying campaign against it.
"Mexico is not going to bear, it is not going to permit and it will not allow a stupid thing like this wall," Foreign Relations Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez said on Tuesday.
He added the government will do "whatever is needed" to stop the bill, which would also criminalize undocumented migrants. He has already received some support from the international community.
"What has to be done is to raise a storm of criticism, as is already happening, against this," he said.
Amnesty International's Mexico office said in statement that a border wall would be "a historic setback for human rights" and "will multiply the loss of life" by making crossing the border even more dangerous.
There are an estimated 10 million Mexican citizens living in the US. Authorities believe that about half of them do not have papers.
Last year, Mexican migrants north of the Rio Grande sent home more than US$16 billion in remittences, according to Mexico's central bank, giving the nation its second biggest source of foreign currency after oil exports.
Mexico is also encouraging US church, community and business groups to oppose the US proposal, and has hired Allyn & Company, a Dallas-based public relations company, to help improve the country's image and stem the immigration backlash.
"If people in the US and Canada had an accurate view of the success of democracy, political stability and economic prosperity in Mexico, it would improve their views on specific bilateral issues like immigration and border security," Rob Allyn, president of the firm, said on Tuesday.
The government is also pledging to fight abuse of migrants living in the US, and last week started airing a series of radio spots aimed at Mexicans returning home for the holidays.
"Had a labor accident in the United States? You have rights ... call," states the ad, sponsored by Mexico's Foreign Relations Department. The department, which helps migrants seek labor compensation in the US, denied the campaign is linked to the US measures.
Those measures would also enlist military and local law enforcement to help stop illegal entrants.
It's hard to underestimate the ill-feeling the proposals, which include building 1,100km of border walls, have generated in Mexico.
Fernando Robledo, 42, a former migrant worker from the western state of Zacatecas, said the proposals could disrupt families by making immigration harder.
"When people heard this, it worried everybody, because this will affect everybody in some way, and their families," Robledo said.
"They were incredulous. How could they do this, propose something like this?" he asked.
Like many Mexicans, he expressed a sense of betrayal and rejection.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying