Five more Chinese cities prepared to stop drawing water from the benzene-laden Songhua River yesterday, as the country's top work safety official warned of long-term dangers from the toxin.
In Russia, residents stocked up on bottled water and an official warned that a lack of running water could threaten heat supplies in the dead of winter, as the spill of benzene into the river from a Nov. 13 chemical plant explosion slowly moved toward the border.
Beijing has sought to ease strains with Moscow, a key diplomatic partner and source of much-needed oil, promising to send filtering materials to help reduce the impact from the spill.
PHOTO: AP
Li Yizhong, minister of China's State Administration of Work Safety, said measures taken so far to protect the millions living along the river were only a "partial victory," the local Communist Party newspaper Harbin Daily reported yesterday.
Li, visiting the city of Jiamusi, where the pollution is expected to arrive in the next few days, warned that the slick was getting longer as it flowed downstream through the iced-over Songhua, affecting an ever growing area.
There was no obvious drop in the concentration of pollutants, up to 21 times the allowable standard, the newspaper quoted Li and other officials as saying.
"Cities on the Songhua River need to stay at a high level of alert," Li said.
On Thursday, China's Foreign Ministry announced it was sending to Russia pollution monitoring devices and 150 tons of activated charcoal to help filter drinking water. Beijing also offered to send experts to help install it.
The disaster has prompted a massive relief effort at home by China's communist government, which is trying to repair its image after complaints that officials concealed the spill and lied to the public.
Officials have sent millions of bottles of drinking water and fleets of water trucks to communities on the Songhua that have cut off running water as the benzene passed. The biggest was the industrial center of Harbin, where 3.8 million people went without water last week.
Downstream, Dalianhe shut down running water to 26,000 residents on Wednesday.
The cities of Jiamusi, Tangyuan, Huachuan, Fujin and Tongjiang were preparing to stop drawing river water as the slick approached, according to provincial and local officials.
It wasn't immediately clear how many people would be affected or whether those communities could draw on wells or other sources to continue supplying running water.
On Thursday, residents of Dalianhe lined up with jugs and buckets to get drinking water delivered by fire trucks after the government shut down drinking water to its 26,000 people.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying