Singapore executed Australian heroin trafficker Nguyen Tuong Van early yesterday in a case that triggered an outcry in his country, where people held vigils at the hour of his hanging. Australia's prime minister said the execution would damage relations between the countries.
"The sentence was carried out this morning at Changi Prison," Singapore's Home Affairs Ministry said in a statement. It said Nguyen had failed in his appeals to the Court of Appeal, and to Singaporean President S.R. Nathan for clemency.
Vietnam-born Nguyen, 25, was hanged before dawn despite numerous appeals from Australian leaders for his life to be spared. He received a mandatory death sentence after being caught with 396g of heroin at the city-state's Changi Airport in 2002, en route from Cambodia to Australia.
Support
Dressed in black, a dozen friends and supporters had stood outside the maximum-security Changi Prison hours before the hanging at 6am. Candles and handwritten notes containing messages of support and calls for an end to Singapore's death penalty were placed outside the prison gates.
Nguyen's twin brother, Nguyen Khoa, entered the prison compound, but did not attend the execution. As he left, he hugged a prison officer and shook the hand of another. Nguyen Tuong Van had said he was trafficking heroin to help pay off his twin's debts.
"I have told the prime minister of Singapore that I believe it will have an effect on the relationship on a people-to-people, population-to-population basis," Australian Prime Minister John Howard told Melbourne radio station 3AW shortly before Singapore confirmed the hanging.
"The government itself is not going to take punitive measures against the government of Singapore," Howard said.
Nguyen's death came amid fresh debate about the death penalty in the US, where North Carolina's governor denied clemency to a man who killed his wife and father-in-law. The decision cleared the way later yesterday for the 1,000th execution in the US since capital punishment was reinstated in 1976.
Singapore says its tough laws and penalties for drug trafficking are an effective deterrent against a crime that ruins lives, and that foreigners and Singaporeans must be treated alike. It said Nguyen's appeals for clemency were carefully considered.
"We take a very serious view of drug trafficking -- the penalty is death," Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said on Thursday during a visit to Germany.
Nguyen was caught with more than 26 times the 15g of heroin that draws a mandatory death penalty. The Home Affairs Ministry statement said the amount was enough to supply 26,000 doses of heroin, and had a street value of S$1.3 million (US$768,500).
Australia scrapped the death penalty in 1973 and hanged its last criminal in 1967, while Singapore has executed more than 100 people for drug-related offenses since 1999.
According to local media, Singapore has granted clemency to six inmates on death row -- all Singaporeans -- since independence in 1965.
Australian reaction
The Australian High Commission said a private funeral service for Nguyen would be held later yesterday at a chapel in Singapore.
The Nguyen family, their friends and lawyer were to leave Singapore with the body today for Melbourne, where it will be buried.
Physical contact between Nguyen and visitors had been barred in past days. But one of his Australian lawyers, Julian McMahon, said Nguyen's mother, Kim, had been allowed to hold her son's hand and touch his face during her last visit on Thursday.
"That was a great comfort to her," McMahon said.
Howard, however, said yesterday that Singapore's decision to deny Nguyen Tuong Van a hug from his mother before his execution for drug smuggling had diminished the island republic in the eyes of Australians and hurt bilateral relations.
"The clinical response of the Singaporean authorities to the final request of the man's mother to embrace her son, I am particularly disappointed with that response, very disappointed," Howard said in his first public response to the hanging.
Howard, who made five personal appeals to Loong for the death sentence to be commuted to life in prison, scotched talk of diplomatic sanctions or a trade boycott.
"If individuals decide to boycott goods, well, that's a matter for them, but I'm not encouraging them to do that," Howard said. "There's nothing to be achieved in my opinion by doing that," he said.
The prime minister reiterated his warning to Australians that they face death if caught smuggling drugs in Southeast Asia and said this message was underlined by Nguyen's execution.
"Don't use them, don't touch them, don't carry them, don't traffic in them, and don't imagine for a moment, for a moment, that you can risk carrying drugs anywhere in Asia without suffering the most severe consequences," the prime minister said.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying