The memoirs of Australia's most divisive politician since Pauline Hanson are released today, in a book which publishers say will provide a rare behind-the-scenes glimpse into the underbelly of political life in Canberra.
The musings of a former opposition leader who resigned after losing his first major election would normally be of only marginal interest in Australia, but the diaries of ex-Labor Party leader Mark Latham have dominated front pages and airwaves for more than a week.
Major issues such as approval for full privatization of telecoms giant Telstra and Prime Minister John Howard's trip to the UN world summit have been overshadowed by debate over the book's claims.
Latham, 44, was hailed as Labor's saviour heading into a general election last October. But voters emphatically rejected his leadership and handed Howard's conservative government a fourth term in office.
He came to the leadership with an admiration for former Prime Minister Paul Keating, who was renowned for calling his political opponents "scumbags."
Latham adopted similar vitriol in his 13 months as leader, referring to US President George W. Bush as "the most incompetent and dangerous president in living memory" and Howard's government as "a conga line of suckholes."
The former opposition leader turns his guns on his own side, including former colleagues whom he blames for his defeat, in The Latham Diaries.
The Labor Party is derided as a corrupt, irreparably broken, unelectable cesspit, while current Labor leader Kim Beazley is accused of orchestrating a smear campaign of sexual innuendos in his quest to get the top job.
"I wouldn't make him the toilet cleaner at parliament house, let alone the leader of the opposition," Latham told the ABC ahead of his book's publication.
Latham also reveals that his pre-election support for Australia's US alliance was not sincere, calling the pact "the last manifestation of the White Australia mentality" in reference to the country's discriminatory migration policies that were scrapped in the 1960s.
The book has sparked a political furore not seen since right-wing firebrand Pauline Hanson condemned Asian migration and Aboriginal welfare in the 1990s.
Labor campaign strategist Bruce Hawker said the bile and double standards revealed in the book would affect all politicians' standing in the community.
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
A squad of gun-toting police officers patrolled Myanmar’s sacred site of Bagan under the cover of night, taking on plunderers snatching relics from temples forsaken by tourists due to COVID-19 restrictions. Each evening as dusk falls, about 100 officers fan out across the plain of Bagan covering 50km2, sweeping flashlights over the crumbling monuments to scour for intruders. “Our security forces are patrolling day and night,” Police Lieutenant Colonel Sein Win told reporters. “We have it under control for the moment, but it’s a challenge.” The central Burmese city is strewn with more than 3,500 ancient monuments — stupas, temples, murals and sculptures