A nuclear weapons test by North Korea would reverberate around the world, altering the nuclear balance in Asia and posing stark new challenges for US policy-makers and military planners.
It could also induce China, Russia and other powers to join the US in seeking UN-approved penalties against the hard-line communist country, analysts suggest.
With US officials increasingly concerned that North Korea may conduct a test soon, how would Washington respond?
First, the Bush administration probably would try to involve the UN. Less clear is whether US President George W. Bush would consider a risky military strike -- given North Korean leader Kim Jong-il's million-man army, heavy conventional weaponry and perhaps several nuclear weapons.
"The North Koreans are basically hellbent on proving to the world that they need to be taken seriously. That's dangerous," said Representative Curt Weldon, vice chairman of the House Armed Services Committee.
"A North Korean test would embarrass China and might actually rally other nations to our position. But the result might push Kim Jong-il to take whatever steps he felt were necessary to rally his people into war," Weldon said.
Weldon, who led a delegation to North Korea in January, said he met last Monday in New York with North Korea's deputy UN ambassador, Han Song-ryol, and told him, "If you do a test, you're going to set this process back years and years, and it's going to lead to consequences neither of us want."
Meanwhile, North Korea has indicated a willingness to return to the bargaining table but said it is waiting for Washington to clarify conflicting statements on US policy. Citing differences between Washington's public and private statements, the North's official Korean Central News Agency quoted a Foreign Ministry spokesman Sunday as saying Pyongyang "will continue to closely watch the US side's attitude, and when the time comes we will officially deliver to the US side our position through the New York contacts."
White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Monday that the Bush administration sees no contradictions in its statements on North Korea.
"The six-party talks are the way forward to resolving this issue. We want to see them come back to the talks. We have no preconditions for returning to the talks and we've made that very clear," he said.
US officials want China to exert more pressure on its longtime ally. China says bullying rhetoric by the US makes it harder to coax the North Koreans back to the negotiating table.
"The potential downside of a test is enormous," said Kurt Campbell, former assistant secretary of defense for Asia in the Clinton administration. "It would set off a chain reaction in the region with completely impossible-to-predict consequences."
It could even lead South Korea and Japan to rethink their policy against nuclear arsenals, he said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told