One day after insurgents killed at least 36 Iraqis in a series of attacks, including the bombing of a funeral, militants set off three explosions in Baghdad yesterday, including one that narrowly missed a top Iraqi security official.
No casualties were immediately reported in yesterday's three attacks, including one that targeted a US military patrol and another that set fire to a six-story apartment building. Sunday's casualties included 25 Iraqis killed and more than 50 wounded by a car bomb that ripped through a tent packed with mourners at the funeral of a Kurdish official in the northern city of Tal Afar.
It was the single deadliest attack since insurgents started bearing down on Iraq's newly named government late last week. US and Iraqi forces imposed a curfew in Tal Afar, and by yesterday morning they had encircled it and stopped all traffic from entering or leaving the city.
PHOTO: AFP
In five blood-soaked days in Iraq, at least 116 people, including 11 Americans, have been killed in a slew of bombings and ambushes.
In yesterday's attacks in Baghdad, Major General Rashid Feleih, the commander of a special Interior Ministry security force, narrowly escaped unhurt when a roadside bomb hit his four-car convoy, damaging one vehicle.
In southern Baghdad, a car bomb exploded in an upscale shopping district of south-central Baghdad, setting fire to a six-story apartment building with a shop on the ground floor. Elsewhere, a roadside bomb exploded near a US military patrol in northern Baghdad, but no Americans were hurt.
In Tal Afar, 150km east of the Syrian border, the car bomb exploded at a tent where mourners had gathered for the funeral of Sayed Talib Sayed Wahab, an official of the Kurdish Democratic Party (KDP), said Goran, a KDP spokesman in the nearby city of Mosul. Goran said the car plowed into the funeral tent and exploded, but the US military said it was not a suicide attack. About 25 people were killed and more than 50 wounded, the US military said.
Six other car bombs exploded in Baghdad on Sunday and at least five American soldiers were injured in the blasts.
US and Iraqi officials had hoped to dent support for the militants by including members of the Sunni Arab minority in a new Shiite-dominated Cabinet that will be sworn in today. Sunnis, who held monopoly power during the rule of former president Saddam Hussein, are believed to be the backbone of Iraq's insurgency.
However, the lineup named by incoming Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari after months of political wrangling excluded Sunnis from meaningful positions and left the key defense and oil ministries -- among other unfilled posts -- in temporary hands.
Insurgents have used their spectacular attacks and hostage takings to drive home their opposition to US-led forces and their Iraqi allies.
A video tape on Sunday showed a man identifying himself as Douglas Wood, 63, seated between two masked militants pointing automatic weapons at him. Wood, appearing disheveled and shaken, said he was an Australian national living in the San Francisco area with his American wife. He said he came to Iraq almost a year ago to work on reconstruction projects with the US military. He appealed to US President George W. Bush, Australian Prime Minister John Howard and Californian Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to order coalition forces out of Iraq and let Iraqis look after themselves, saying he did not want to die.
"My captors are fiercely patriotic. They believe in a strong united Iraq looking after its own destiny," Wood said on the tape.
Wood's wife, Pearl, confirmed the man was indeed her husband. A militant group calling itself the Shura Council of the Mujahedeen of Iraq claimed responsibility for the kidnapping.
The British Foreign Office also said three arrests in the abduction of Margaret Hassan, a British aid worker believed slain last year, saying they were made on Sunday morning during a coalition raid 30km south of Baghdad.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told