In a move that could strain ties with its powerful neighbor to the south, Canada said on Thursday it will not participate in a US plans, widely opposed here, to deploy a missile defense shield covering North America.
Relations had appeared to warm of late after cooling with the US-led invasion of Iraq in early 2003, in which Canada had also declined to participate.
Political analysts expected the decision. Ottawa had been mulling its stand on the US missile defense program for more than a year.
Liberal Prime Minister Paul Martin leads a minority government and his party's lawmakers had lobbied him not to take part in the program which is highly unpopular in Canada, particularly in Quebec.
"Let me be clear: we respect the right of the United States to defend itself and its people. Indeed, we will continue to work in partnership with our southern neighbors on the common defense of North America and on continental security," Martin said.
"However, ballistic missile defense is not where we will concentrate our efforts. Instead we will act both alone and with our neighbors on defense priorities such as those outlined in yesterday's budget. These include: strengthening the security of our common border, bolstering security at points of entry, reinforcing our coastal and arctic sovereignty, increasing support for intelligence, expanding our armed forces and increasing our capital investment in helicopters, trucks, aircraft and ships," he said.
In Washington, a state department official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said: "The Canadians have informed us of their decision. We take note of it."
"We certainly hope that despite the decision we'll still be able to continue our broad range of cooperation on bilateral issues, including on defense cooperation," the US official said.
"Canada remains steadfast in its support of NORAD, which is essential to continental security and our national sovereignty," Martin said. "That's why we agreed last summer to enhance our longstanding commitment to track missiles through NORAD [North American Aerospace Defense Command]. We stand by that commitment. It underscores an important ongoing partnership with the United States and most of all, it is in Canada's strategic national interest."
The US and Canada agreed last August to extend NORAD's aerospace warning function to support missile defense. The agreement allowed NORAD information on incoming missiles to be used by the US missile defense program, but did not require actual participation by Canadian forces, according to US officials.
"Canada recognizes the enormous burden that the United States shoulders when it comes to international peace and security. The substantial increases made ... to our defense budget are a tangible indication that Canada intends to carry its full share of that global responsibility," Martin said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told