It hardly surprised David Passaro's neighbors or a former wife that he should be arrested for beating an Afghan man in custody last year, becoming the first civilian charged in the US military's widening prison abuse scandal. \nHis first wife said Passaro, a former Army Special Operations soldier who worked for the CIA in Afghanistan, hit her when he drank too much. His second wife, who is separated from him, filed court papers asserting Passaro had been "verbally abusive and threatening" to her. His neighbors in Lillington said Passaro, following a dispute over their dogs, fired a bullet through the windshield of their empty car while their children played nearby. \nIn 1990, Passaro was fired from the police force in Hartford, Connecticut, after he was arrested for beating a man in a parking lot brawl, officials said. Passaro later pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge and paid a US$115 fine. \nPassaro is accused of beating an Afghan detainee, Abdul Wali, with his hands, feet and a large flashlight inside a northern Afghan prison last June 19 and 20. Wali died the next day, apparently of a heart attack, officials have said. Passaro was charged Thursday with four counts of assault and faces 40 years in prison. \nHis family and lawyer argue that Passaro, 38, is not a violent man. They contend the complaints from his estranged wife and his ex-wife are exaggerated or untrue. They say the fight that got him fired from the Hartford Police Department was provoked by the other man. And they assert that he never fired his gun at his neighbor's car. \n"You're going to hear that David has a gung-ho and high-charging, butt-kicking side to him," said his younger brother, Stephen Passaro. \n"It doesn't mean you're bad or you're wrong, it's just how you're perceived. Unfortunately David has this high-charging side and I have it too. Everything we do, we put in 110 percent," Stephen Passaro said. \nPassaro's supporters also assert that he deserves special credit for serving the country in dangerous hot spots around the world. Passaro, working with both the military and the CIA, was repeatedly granted clearances to handle secret information. \n"That generally doesn't happen unless you have a pretty spotless record," Gerald Beaver, Passaro's lawyer, said. \nThe CIA conducted a background check of Passaro last year while he was working as a civilian medical planner for the Army Special Operations Command at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. \nThe examiners concluded that Passaro's marital problems and firing from the Hartford Police Department were not serious enough problems to warrant rejecting his application to work with the agency.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting