One prisoner was pepper-sprayed. Another was hit repeatedly with a clock radio. A third was hosed down by a guard.
Swiftly and quietly, investigators dealt with three formal complaints of prisoner abuse at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where some 600 men are being held for alleged ties to Afghanistan's fallen Taliban regime or to the al-Qaeda terror network, military officials told reporters on Thursday.
Two of the guards were demoted in rank and a third was acquitted in a court martial, according to Raoul Duany, a civilian spokesman for the US Southern Command in Miami. Action was taken quickly to prevent the type of scandal plaguing US officials in Iraq, he said.
The first complaint surfaced in September of 2002 when an Army reserve specialist was accused of spraying a detainee with a fire hose. The detainee allegedly threw food and water at the passing guard who worked in the sprawling Camp Delta prison camp in eastern Cuba.
The guard was demoted in rank and reassigned, Duany said.
In April last year, a detainee reportedly assaulted a guard, who then struck the detainee two times on the head with a clock radio, Duany said.
The guard was also demoted in rank and was given 45 days of extra duty and reassigned. It was not clear if either guard was still in Guantanamo.
In the third incident, an Air Force reserve staff sergeant was accused of using pepper spray on a detainee. The airman said he felt threatened and was acquitted of the charges.
"The cases were dealt with expeditiously so the message got across," said Duany. "When people get to Guantanamo you get briefed on military justice, the Geneva Conventions, right use of force, and you get these briefings with continuous repetition. We feel confident of the procedures that we have in place at Guantanamo."
Still, the Pentagon sent an assessment team to investigate prisoner treatment and other conditions at Guantanamo. The team is expected to issue the findings of their report in the upcoming months.
In one of its harshest rebukes the International Committee of the Red Cross said in October it found the mental conditions of detainees at Guantanamo "worrying." The Geneva-based group is the only independent organization with access to the detainees.
After interviews with detainees, the group -- which maintains an office in Guantanamo -- offers recommendations to the US military but the recommendations are rarely made public.
None of the detainees have been charged with any crime and many of them have been held for more than two years. No dates have been set for tribunals.
Officials say Guantanamo has been run professionally -- not like the US-run Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq where an American guard informed commanders in January of abuses inflicted by colleagues. The probe has since widened into a look at whether there was systematic abuse at detention facilities in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Pictures, which became public last week, show smiling American guards stripping Iraqi prisoners and sexually humiliating them.
Army Major General Geoffrey Miller, who was the commander of the detention mission in Guantanamo Bay from November 2002 to March this year, has been named to be the new commander of Abu Ghraib. He has promised sweeping reforms.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
Nauru said it would hold a referendum to change its official name, described as a colonial relic from a time when “foreign tongues” mangled the native language. Nauru would change its name to Naoero to “more faithfully honor our nation’s heritage, our language and our identity,” Nauruan President David Adeang said in a statement on Tuesday. The Pacific island nation’s native language is Dorerin Naoero, which is spoken by the vast majority of its approximately 10,000 inhabitants. “Nauru emerged because Naoero could not be properly pronounced by foreign tongues, and was changed not by our choice, but for convenience,” the government said in
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told