A Senate report warned yesterday that the gap between Australia's rich and poor was growing dramatically, but the government has branded the study an opposition-led attempt to embarrass it in the run-up to national elections.
The bi-partisan Senate committee said that nearly 20 percent of Australians were living in poverty and too many of the country's 20 million citizens were missing out on benefits being delivered by one of the world's most buoyant economies.
PHOTO: AFP
It recommended sweeping changes to the government's strategy for tackling the problem, including redefining what constitutes poverty and establishing a federal agency which would report directly to Prime Minister John Howard.
The committee also said the minimum wage should be raised and schools should be given more money to provide breakfast to disadvantaged children who arrive at school hungry.
The report, titled "A Hand Up Not a Hand Out," was the result of a 12-month survey of departments and agencies nationwide that found 700,000 Australian children living in homes where they had never experienced anyone working.
The committee concluded that poverty was on the rise, increasing from 11.3 percent of the population in 1990 to 13 percent in 2000 and estimates of up to 4.1 million Australians now living below the poverty line.
It said 3.6 million people lived in households with incomes of less than US$300 a week, and 100,000 people were homeless, many of them children.
Committee chairman Steve Hutchins of the opposition Labor Party challenged the conservative Howard government to do "the right thing" and act on the recommendations.
"The report is on the table; it is not pie in the sky but a serious document which is based upon the input of real people," Hutchins said.
"I ask the government -- I challenge them -- to make Australia what it should be: the land of the `fair go' (equal opportunity)."
But the government's own members of the committee distanced themselves from what they said was a politically motivated report designed to throw a negative light on Howard's government ahead of an election expected around November.
"It's more about politics than addressing poverty," said Community Services Minister Kay Patterson.
Government committee member Sue Knowles said the report didn't take the poverty issue forward while Howard said the poor were better off thanks to his policies.
He immediately ruled out setting up a national body to tackle the problem.
"I don't think the answer to these issues is to have more bureaucracy," Howard said.
"I think the answer to these issues is to continually improve benefits, to provide safety nets for low income people.
"It is fair to say the rich have got richer but the poor have not got poorer. The low levels of unemployment that Australia is now enjoying means that more people have work."
The New South Wales Council of Social Service said the report was the first in 30 years to comprehensively assess the level and nature of poverty in Australia.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told