Shirin Ebadi, the Nobel Peace Prize laureate, joined protesters on Tuesday in announcing that she would not vote in parliamentary elections tomorrow for which more than 2,000 candidates were disqualified by the government.
"I cannot tell people to vote or not to vote, but I will not vote because I do not know any of the candidates who have been allowed to run," said Ebadi, a human rights lawyer.
"I would have voted if I knew and trusted the candidates," she said.
PHOTO: REUTERS
Her statement, just 48 hours before the elections, intensified the standoff that has been building between reformist supporters of President Mohammad Khatami and their hardline opponents since January, when a watchdog council rejected liberal candidates.
Nearly 130 deputies resigned in protest and the leading reform party is boycotting the elections. This week, 679 candidates whose qualifications had been approved withdrew in protest as well.
On Tuesday, reformist members of parliament broke a long-established taboo and wrote an open letter to the country's supreme religious leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, that criticized his policies.
"You lead a system in which legitimate freedoms and the rights of the people are being trampled on in the name of Islam," said the letter, which was distributed in parliament.
"The organs under your authority have for four years humiliated the parliament and its deputies by blocking legislation and have openly blocked the most basic right of the people: to choose and be chosen," it said.
The reference was to the Guardian Council, which has disqualified over 2,000 candidates. The letter also implied that Khamenei, despite his public statements, had approved the disqualifications.
Khamenei has issued an order saying the vote could not be delayed, and hardliners are counting on a low turnout in the hope that they can win a majority in the 290-seat parliament by mobilizing their supporters.
In a statement released on Monday, Khatami appealed to people to go to the polls "despite the unfairness of the election," the Islamic Republic News Agency reported.
He said that a low turnout could result in a minority gaining control of the parliament, which would not be in its interests or those of the country.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding
‘DELIBERATE PROVOCATION’: Pyongyang said that Seoul had used a machine gun to fire at North Korean troops who were working to permanently seal the southern border South Korea fired warning shots at North Korean soldiers that briefly crossed the heavily fortified border earlier this week, Seoul said yesterday after Pyongyang accused it of risking “uncontrollable” tensions. South Korean President Lee Jae-myung has sought warmer ties with the nuclear-armed North and vowed to build “military trust,” but Pyongyang has said it has no interest in improving relations with Seoul. Seoul’s military said several North Korean soldiers crossed the border on Tuesday while working in the heavily mined demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas. The incursion prompted “our military to fire warning shots,” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff