Gunfire and explosions erupted in Liberia's capital even as a new UN peace mission took control, with insurgents and government forces opening fire as the top rebel leader tried to make his way into Monrovia.
Journalists saw three bodies -- two civilians shot in the crossfire, and a rebel killed by civilians outraged at the return to fighting. Defense Minister Daniel Chea put the death toll at five.
Wednesday's firefight, with AK-47s and grenade-launchers, marked the most serious clash in Monrovia since an interim West African peace force moved into the capital on Aug. 4.
The battle, coming one day after the last US forces withdrew from the city, broke out as top rebel leader Sekou Conneh made his first entry into Monrovia in a motorcade to meet with new President Moses Blah.
Conneh's entrance set off tensions in the capital, still divided into rebel and government zones despite nearly two months of calm under the peacekeeping forces.
It was unclear what started the battle, in a crowded, heavily commercial eastern neighborhood.
Some witnesses said former government soldiers -- idled by the Aug. 18 peace deal -- became angry when rebel forces blocked an intersection for Conneh's motorcade.
When the soldiers threw stones, rebels opened fire, witnesses said. Journalists saw rebels pull out AK-47s and grenade launchers that had been stashed in their vehicles, and join the fight.
The gunbattle lasted at least 20 minutes and sent thousands of civilians running in panic.
There was no word of any injury to the rebel leader, or to West African peace force commander Brigadier General Festus Okonkwo, who had been escorting the rebel chief.
Angry, shouting crowds surrounded the peacekeepers as gunfire eased. The civilians blamed the peacekeepers for not averting the clash.
"This should [show] reason for the international community to hurry up and send in all the forces" of the peace mission, Chea said. "The best thing that can happen to this country now is to ensure that the guns are taken from fighters."
The fighting made clear the difficulties still facing peacekeepers, deployed to help secure the peace after the Aug. 11 resignation of President Charles Taylor, a warlord behind 14 years of conflict.
On Wednesday, soldiers of the 3,500-strong West African peace force moved under auspices of the UN mission, trading their camouflage helmets for the blue ones of the UN.
The UN mission is to move to a promised strength of up to 15,000 men by March.
"We were given a job and we have done the job and done it well. We are happy to be part of the new force to take over," Colonel Theophilus Tawiah of Ghana, chief of staff of the West African force, said earlier on Wednesday, marking the handover.
US forces also marked the end of a small American deployment -- just over 200 US forces at peak -- in support of the West Africans.
"The mere presence sent a signal to everybody involved," US Lieutenant Colonel Tom Collins said on Wednesday, as a three-ship US battle group sailed away after weeks off Liberia.
"Above all, it gave them [Liberians] confidence that the US was there and sent a signal to the warring factions that we were watching them," Collins said.
US President George W. Bush, under international pressure, had sent the US warships, a rapid-reaction force and US Marine liaisons to Liberia, a country founded by freed American slaves in the 19th century.
In Washington, State Department spokesman Richard Boucher welcomed the UN force.
"We appreciate the hard work by the UN secretary general and his special representative, Jacques Klein, in ensuring that this operation was up and running by Oct. 1," he said. "We also applaud the leadership of the Economic Community of West African States in their efforts to bring peace to Liberia."
Boucher said the US will send nine officers to participate directly in the UN operation. The US government also has provided US$26 million in equipment for the West African troops and will continue to provide medical support during the transition period.
FRENCH AID: Paris has sent a navy ship and aircraft from Reunion Island with some pollution control equipment, but rough seas are spreading the oil spill The operator of a Japanese bulk carrier which ran aground off Mauritius in the Indian Ocean yesterday apologized for a major oil spill, which officials and environmentalists say is creating an ecological disaster, as police prepared to board the ship. The MV Wakashio, operated by Mitsui OSK Lines, struck the reef on Mauritius’ southeast coast on July 25. “We apologize profusely and deeply for the great trouble we have caused,” Mitsui OSK Lines executive vice president Akihiko Ono said at a news conference in Tokyo. The company would “do everything in their power to resolve the issue,” he said. At least 1,000 tonnes of
They stand as eyesores to most passers-by and potential public health risks to authorities, decaying buildings wrapped in tangles of exposed wire, studded with protruding leaky plastic pipes, vegetation billowing from cracks and terraces where particulates from polluted air have accumulated over time. With skyscrapers and ultramodern developments on every side, some of these “nail houses” are also sitting on land worth millions of dollars in Shenzhen’s inferno of a property market, where new-unit and second-hand home prices rival London. In battles over land and development, the nail house phenomenon has become widespread throughout China over the past two decades, with owners
An Italian alpine resort on Friday remained on high alert over fears that a vast chunk of a glacier on the slopes of the Mont Blanc massif could plummet in high temperatures. “No one gets through! No cars, bikes or pedestrians,” was the message at a checkpoint where an automatic barrier and two guards blocked the small road snaking up into a lush valley below the Planpincieux glacier, near the town of Courmayeur and the Italian-French border. The blockade has largely been greeted with contempt by the locals, one of whom said: “It’s a joke.” The huge ice block measuring around 500,000 cubic
SHOW OF SOLIDARITY: The publisher’s ‘Apple Daily’ newspaper has had to raise the number of copies printed from 70,000 to 550,000 to meet a huge surge in demand They have occupied Hong Kong’s central business district, marched by the hundreds of thousands through the territory’s streets and endured tear gas and pepper spray in pitched battles with riot police. Hong Kong’s pro-democracy supporters are now wielding a new protest weapon: their stock-market trading accounts. To show support for Jimmy Lai (黎智英), the publisher and outspoken government critic who was on Monday arrested under the territory’s new national security legislation, Hong Kongers have been piling into shares of his media company Next Digital. The result: a more than 1,100 percent surge in two days that propelled the stock to a seven-year