The Ministry of Culture (MOC) yesterday said it has reached an agreement with the Ministry of Transportation and Communications and the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to turn the Taipei Railway Workshop into a national railway museum.
The three parties will further discuss how they can coordinate with one another, the MOC said.
The workshop will be divided into different zones to carry out restoration work in different stages the culture ministry said, adding that the zones could be opened to visitors one at a time once work at each zone is complete.
“We are considering offering guided tours to registered visitors while restoration work is still in progress, so that visitors can personally experience how the historical site is restored and revitalized,” the Ministry of Culture said in a statement.
The culture ministry said that the workshop is where the nation’s railway system grew and evolved and is a testament to the development of the nation’s railroad infrastructure and modern industry.
It is also a historic indicator of how the Taipei metropolitan area expanded from the west to the east, it added.
To preserve the site, the property of the workshop was designated as a national historical site on April 16 last year.
However, the plan to turn the workshop into a national railway museum has yet to be approved by the Executive Yuan, as it involves several unresolved issues, from the funding of the restoration and the museum’s place in the urban development plan of Taipei to the railway operator’s ability to sustain itself financially to operate such a museum, it said.
The culture ministry said it can only entrust professionals with the task of delivering a plan on how they can restore the historical site.
“We understand that the TRA, as a railway operator, has an important task of continuing to upgrade the railway infrastructure to enhance the safety, convenience and comfort of the public transport system,” MOC Minister Cheng Li-chiun (鄭麗君) said.
“The cooperation between the MOC and the TRA will ensure that the cultural asset can be preserved and the TRA can stay financially afloat. We hope that this glory of the railroad personnel can become a new center of attraction for tourism and culture in the nation’s capital,” Cheng added.
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,