President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) said his administration will not give up the Republic of China’s (ROC) territory in the South China Sea, but will continue to seek peaceful means to address territorial disputes in the region.
Although some have advocated that Taiwan should abandon the disputed territories, Ma said they are part of the ROC and cannot be given up easily.
The islands in the South China Sea “are very important,” he said earlier this week in response to questions at a news conference with foreign correspondents based in Taiwan.
The region is rich in natural resources and is an important navigation channel for the ROC, Ma said.
“We should try to resolve the disputes through peaceful means, rather than give up the territory to deal with the problem,” Ma said.
Even if Taiwan abandons its claims, territorial disputes would still remain among the various claimants, he added.
The president reiterated his stance that all parties concerned should engage in negotiations in an effort to alleviate tensions and find resolutions.
“Our basic stance is that sovereignty cannot be compromised, but natural resources can be shared,” he said.
Based on those principles, Taiwan was able to address fishing disputes with Japan and the Philippines, he said, adding that the same model could also be applied to deal with disputes in the South China Sea.
The government claims that the Spratly Islands (Nansha Islands, 南沙群島), Paracel Islands (Xisha Islands, 西沙群島) and Pratas Islands (Dongsha Islands, 東沙群島), as well as the Macclesfield Bank (Zhongsha Islands, 中沙群島) and their surrounding waters are an inherent part of the nation.
However, the islands in the resource-rich South China Sea and their surrounding waters are also fully or partially claimed by China, Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia and Brunei.
Asked whether the government is worried about China’s land reclamation projects in the South China Sea, Ma said international law does not forbid such actions.
China is not the only nation engaged in such action, he said, adding that Vietnam is doing the same.
Actions that could trigger tensions in the region are not welcome, Ma said, urging joint efforts by all parties to explore resources.
On the question of whether Taiwan should deploy military personnel on Itu Aba Island (Taiping Island, 太平島) amid the simmering tensions in the South China Sea, Ma said that the nation will continue to post coast guard personnel there to defend its claim to the island.
“I do not think the use of force would be the best solution,” he said.
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,