Dozens of members of Taipei’s New Female Immigrant Care Association yesterday staged a protest outside city hall to demand an apology from Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) over his recent off-the-cuff remark describing the foreign spouses of Taiwanese men as “imported foreign brides.”
“I came from China and have been married with a Taiwanese man for 14 years. There are more than 480,000 immigrants in Taiwan. We are human beings, not some products for sale,” association executive secretary Li Xia (李霞) said as she led the protest, which consisted of women like her from China, Vietnam, Indonesia, Myanmar and Thailand.
Li was referring to remarks Ko made during a gender forum on Saturday, when he commented that he was bewildered by the fact that there were more single men than women in the nation, given that “the nation has imported 300,000 foreign brides.”
Photo: Chang Chia-ming, Taipei Times
Ko declined to further elaborate on his comments when asked by reporters on the sidelines of the event whether the use of the term “import” was appropriate when describing foreign spouses.
“Today is International Women’s Day, but it is the hardest day for immigrant females in Taiwan. Ko’s remarks were discriminatory against women like us, and those words kept me up all night last night,” Li said yesterday.
“We demand that Ko issue an apology to new immigrant women and urge other women’s rights groups and the Democratic Progressive Party’s (DPP) Women’s Development Committee to join in condemnation of the mayor,” she said.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Taipei City councilors Lee Yen-hsiu (李彥秀) and Angela Ying (應曉薇) also attended the protest.
Ying urged Ko to acknowledge his mistake, while Lee said that immigrants are also a part of the city, and that the mayor should treat these people with equality rather than discrimination.
Later yesterday, Ko said he did not mean any harm when speaking at the forum and admitted that there was plenty of room for improvement in the language he used.
Asked if he wanted to apologize for his comments, Ko said he said that he had said many things at the forum, but only two words were taken out of context and then put under the magnifying glass.
“I am confused and troubled by this kind of social phenomena,” Ko said.
“If we believe someone does not harbor malice toward a subject, then there is no need to blow it out of proportion,” Ko said, but added that he would correct any mistakes that he made.
Later yesterday, when told that his mother, Ho Jui-ying (何瑞英), also believed that he should apologize for it, Ko said: “I will apologize then.”
Asked to comment in a separate setting, DPP Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said that “import” was not the best choice of word to be used in the situation.
“[Ko] should be especially cautious choosing his words,” Tsai said. “However, I think he would be more considerate after we remind him repeatedly.”
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a