An elderly man from Taichung has survived a potentially fatal flesh-eating disease caused by a 4cm long fish bone that had pierced his digestive tract before reappearing in his rectum.
A resident of the city’s Fengyuan District (豐原), the 73-year-old, surnamed Lee (李), is a diabetic, and is also paralyzed on one side of his body following a stroke.
Lee told a surgeon at the city’s hospital, Lai Chi-hung (賴基鴻), that he had eaten the fish bone by accident.
According to his family, Lee had recently been experiencing a lack of appetite and had a fever for a few days before visiting the hospital.
After being examined, which included a CT scan, Lee was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis — a flesh-eating disease — deep in his perineum. He was developing complications including septic shock and multiple organ involvement, doctors said.
Fasciotomy and debridement — standard surgical procedures in treating flesh-eating diseases — were performed immediately, and the surgeons removed a thick, 4cm long fish bone.
The fish bone, which would normally have stayed in the stomach, had somehow traveled all the way through the small and large intestines, taking a 10m excursion inside the patient before settling in his anus, Lai added.
When the flesh-eating disease reaches the perineum via infected intestines or the urinary tract, it has an overall fatality rate of almost 100 percent if the patient does not promptly undergo surgery, the hospital’s infectious disease specialist Wang Wei-yao (王唯堯) said.
He added that fish bones accidentally swallowed usually become lodged in the throat or somewhere along the upper digestive tract, but Lee’s case was very rare.
According to Lai, surgeons have removed a wide variety of objects from patients’ intestines, including a persimmon pastry, a sweet potato, corn dough and mushrooms.
Caregivers are especially recommended to steam cook food to make sure that it is easily digestible for patients, Lai said.
A Taipei veterinarian is urging pet owners to avoid using insecticides around their homes, as their ingredients can be toxic to pets. Commercial-grade insecticides contain pyrethroids — organic compounds similar to natural pyrethrins, pesticides produced by flowers such as chrysanthemums — in quantities that are harmless to humans, but potentially fatal to cats and dogs, Asian Veterinary Specialist Referral Center veterinarian Chua Man-ling (蔡曼琳) said. Even in small quantities, pyrethroids are hazardous to cats, as they lack the metabolic enzymes needed to process them, Chua said. Cockroach sprays and ant traps are especially dangerous to pets as they contain boric acid, she
People should avoid eating too many zongzi (粽子, glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo leaves), as consuming several in one meal could cause indigestion, bloating, gastric acid reflux, heartburn and other stomach ailments, a doctor said on Saturday. Zongzi is a traditional delicacy for the Dragon Boat Festival, which was on Thursday. Citing a recent case as an example, Cathay General Hospital gastroenterology department head Chu Yu-ming (朱淯銘) said that a 58-year-old taxi driver surnamed Hsiao (蕭) ate meals at irregular hours due to his work and has been taking diabetes medicine for three years. Hsiao recently bought a bag of zongzi and ate
While stereotypically considered a household pest that simply will not die, Hung Ting-yang’s (洪鼎揚) experience with Archimandrita tesselata, commonly called the peppered roach, might change a person’s mind. The peppered roach originates in South America, is omnivorous and, as it is capable of growing to 7cm to 9cm long, is a giant compared with other roaches, which have an average length of about 4cm. The peppered roach goes through six separate chrysalis stages and takes nine months to reach full maturity. Mature roaches have wings, but cannot fly and can only glide. They have an average lifespan of three years. As his
The EU’s list of safe nations to which it would reopen borders next week does not include Taiwan, but the Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday said the list has not been finalized and some EU countries have highlighted the importance of “reciprocity.” The provisional list comprises Algeria, Andorra, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, San Marino, Serbia, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay and the Vatican, the New York Times reported on Friday. The EU said it would add China, considered one of the “acceptable countries,” if it also opens its borders to EU travelers, the newspaper reported. Backed by