In an exclusive interview with the Taipei Times, a senior official in US President Barack Obama’s administration strongly denied that Washington had approved or knew anything about a Republic of China (ROC) national flag-raising ceremony at the Twin Oaks Estate in Washington on New Year’s Day.
He said the action undermines trust and puts symbolism ahead of real substance, leading many in Washington to ask: “Who in Taipei is in charge of the US-Taiwan relationship?”
The ROC national flag was raised on Thursday last week at the Twin Oaks Estate — the former residence of ROC ambassadors to the US — for the first time since Washington switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing 36 years ago, Representative to the US Shen Lyu-shun (沈呂巡) said. He said the ceremony was made possible under a mutual understanding with the Obama administration.
During the ceremony, Shen conferred upon four ROC military personnel serving in the US the Medal of Merit and the Order of Loyalty and Diligence in recognition of their service.
Twin Oaks was the official residence of ROC ambassadors to the US from 1937 to 1978.
China has already protested to the US, asking Washington to respect its “one China” policy.
US Department of State spokeswoman Jen Psaki on Monday said that the US “did not know about the flag-raising in advance.”
“We remain fully committed to the US’ ‘one China’ policy, based on the three communiques and the Taiwan Relations Act,” Psaki said.
A senior official from the Obama administration who is familiar with the situation agreed to speak on condition of anonymity.
The source said that the Obama administration had not reached any understanding or consensus with Taiwan’s government to hold the ceremony, nor did the administration approved Taiwanese military personnel wearing their uniforms during the ceremony.
“Any claim to the contrary is incorrect,” the source said.
The senior official laid out seven points to delineate the Obama administration’s position, saying that the US is very disappointed with this action and that it has been so broadly publicized.
“It is a clear-cut violation of our bilateral understanding of our conduct of our unofficial relationship,” the source said.
He said that the action undermines trust and hurts the bilateral relationship after six years of major investment and a major success on the part of the Obama administration.
He said that the flag-raising puts symbolism ahead of real substance, “in a way that sets back our efforts to the development of this relationship.”
He said that many in Washington are now asking: “Who in Taipei is in charge of the US-Taiwan relationship?”
The Obama administration has expressed its serious concern to Taiwan’s government — in Taipei through the American Institute in Taiwan and in Washington through the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office.
Shen is in Taiwan in response to a request from the Legislative Yuan — made last year before the incident — to attend a hearing scheduled for today.
The senior official said that the US government raised its serious concern in Taipei and Washington, and “Taiwan’s officials are just pointing fingers at each other.”
Some Taiwanese officials said in private that this incident might become the most confrontational issue between the US and Taiwan. Its long-term impact on President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) administration — which has emphasized a surprise-free policy approach toward the US — remains unclear.
The senior official said during the interview that Washington hopes Ma will demonstrate the priorities he puts on this bilateral relationship by ensuring that these kind of things do not happen again.
“We hope we can shift the focus of the US-Taiwan relationship to an area in which progress is possible,” he said.
Ma lauded Shen after the ceremony and described the flag-raising as a foreign policy achievement.
The senior US official said that Obama administration’s major concern is that an action was taken that obviously violated the bilateral understanding, while Taiwan claimed that “[US officials] know about it and support it.”
He said that US is very careful when dealing with an issue like this.
The way the Taiwanese government handled the event and the comment made by Ma suggested “that our long-term understanding is now being violated,” the source said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not