The army on Monday introduced new initiatives at its military facilities that allow soldiers to use smartphones, browse the Internet in their free time and enjoy improved accommodation, in a bid to boost lower-than-expected enlistment figures.
During a media tour at a base in Pingtung County, the army showed off new soldiers’ quarters, which include air conditioning and desks for individual soldiers. In the past, soldiers had only beds and lockers.
The 333rd Brigade at the base in Pingtung is among 35 military units that have been chosen by the army to improve soldiers’ quality of life through the inclusion of certain creature comforts.
Staff Sergeant Lu Shu-hao (呂書豪) said the barracks had improved drastically on the quarters he had lived in previously.
“It’s like 500 times cooler than before,” he said.
Lu belongs to an experimental company made up entirely of enlisted soldiers in the army’s 333rd Brigade.
Meeting reporters on a base tour, Lu cited improvements in comfort, atmosphere and hygiene, which he said make the barracks “no longer look like a cheap hotel.”
To increase the appeal of being part of an all-volunteer force, a goal set for 2017, the military has taken steps to improve the living conditions of service members, in addition to paying higher salaries.
Taking shower facilities as an example, Lu said soldiers in his company can now use separate cubicles instead of the open bath commonly seen in army barracks. To be able to relax is very important after a day of drills and exercising, he added.
Other improvements include individual bunks, desks and closets, and perhaps more important for modern young people: The right to use smartphones.
In order to join the army, Lu gave up his US citizenship, saying it was the most important and the best decision he has made in his life so far.
Private Cheng Kai-yang also gave a thumbs-up for the improvements at the base, particularly new initiatives that include allowing military personnel to live off-base and eat outside on work days.
Being able to use smartphones at the base also allows them to stay connected with the rest of the world, Cheng said.
“I believe this will attract more young people to enlist,” he added.
According to the army, 80 percent of the military personnel at the selected 35 units have expressed satisfaction with the improved daily facilities and new measures.
The army began implementing the initiatives in October last year and over the past three months, 10 percent of the young men who are required to undergo four months of military training as part of the military’s plan to shift to an all-volunteer force agreed to enlist.
The army said it is planning to implement the new initiatives at more of its military units. In the 35 units, those who have volunteered to sign up for longer military service increased from 45.3 percent to 56.1 percent, according to the military.
The transition to an all-volunteer army was originally planned for next year, but the army pushed the date back due to lower-than-expected recruitment figures.
CLEAR BEFORE LEAVING: Two baby boys and a woman in her 30s tested negative before departing for Japan, but tests taken after their arrival came back postive Three Taiwanese tested positive for COVID-19 when they arrived in Japan earlier this month, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday as it reported a new imported case. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), head of the center, said that one of the three cases in Japan is a Taiwanese baby under the age of one, whose parents work in Japan. The infant came to Taiwan with his parents in January, and the parents paid for the family’s COVID-19 tests on Oct. 10 ahead of their planned return to Japan on Monday last week, he said. The boy and his
‘BACKED BY ENEMY’: CTi News is one of the few channels promoting unification, the New Party chairman said, while pro-Taiwan groups called it a propaganda outlet Pan-blue camp supporters yesterday lodged a protest at the National Communications Commission (NCC) against what they say is a possible move by the government to shut down CTi News, adding that politics should not interfere with freedom of the press. Protesters included representatives from the New Party, the Blue Sky Action Alliance, the 333 Political Party Alliance and other pan-blue groups. “We stand here today because CTi News is one of the few media outlets in Taiwan that is still willing to give groups supporting unification with China a voice. If the news channel is gone, there would only be
NEW YEAR’S EVE: Examples from South Korea and Japan show that 15 local COVID-19 infections could emerge in a short period if measures are not taken The Taipei City Government would cancel its New Year’s Eve Party and all large events if 15 or more confirmed cases of COVID-19 are reported in the city within a week, Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) said yesterday. Addressing the Taipei Cross Border E-Commerce Annual Convention, Ko said the COVID-19 pandemic has brought many uncertainties to society, and that e-commerce is on a path of no return and would continue to grow. Many countries have not effectively controlled their COVID-19 outbreaks, and although Taiwan implements strict border controls and there have been few inbound passengers, the pandemic is unlikely to end soon,
The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) yesterday accused CTi News of trying to mislead the public by publishing a half-page advert claiming that the party interfered in the National Communications Commission’s (NCC) review of its application for a license renewal. CTi News is distorting the commission’s review process by painting it as a political conflict and turning it into a smear campaign against the DPP, party spokeswoman Yen Juo-fang (顏若芳) said. “The NCC is an independent body, which carries out reviews and makes decisions based on its members’ professional expertise, as well as regulations and legal requirements governing media operations,” Yen said. “We condemn