A pointed-scaled pit viper was found dead with its fangs stuck inside its body one day after it was captured and caged by firefighters from Nantou County’s Guosing Township (國姓), raising questions whether it committed suicide because of its captive environment.
Officials from the Guosing fire department said they received a call earlier this month from a local resident saying a snake had invaded his home.
After discovering that the target was a 1m-long pointed-scaled pit viper, whose venom contains hemotoxin — a type of toxin that can cause tissue damage and internal bleeding — firefighters donned protective suits before using snake tongs to capture it and put it in an iron cage.
Photo: Tung Chen-kuo, Taipei Times
Firefighters Liu Hsin-hua (劉新華) and Hung Wei-lan (洪偉嵐) were preparing to transfer the serpent to the county government’s Agriculture Department the following day when they discovered that it had died in what they said appeared to be a suicide, with its mouth wide open and its fangs inside its body.
The Council of Agriculture’s Endemic Species Research Institute said that while the center had never encountered cases of snakes committing suicide by biting themselves and could not confirm whether a pointed-scaled pit viper’s venom might be lethal to itself, it did not rule out such a possibility.
“Research has shown that cobras and banded kraits are immune to their own venom, but foreign researchers have reported cases of cottonmouth water moccasins and rattlesnakes being killed by their own toxins,” the institute said.
The institute added that another snake species, the Vipera aspis, is also vulnerable to its own venom. Since the pointed-scaled pit viper belongs to the same family — the Viperidae — there is a possibility that it could also be killed by its own venom.
However, the institute’s zoology division chief, Cheng Hsi-chi (鄭錫奇), cast doubt on the suicide speculations.
Chen said there was no such thing as “deliberate suicide” in the animal world.
“Most of the time, it is humans that subjectively label some animal behaviors as suicides, such as when a large pod of whales die after beaching themselves,” Cheng said.
He added that most incomprehensible, extreme and collective behaviors of animals could be attributed to overcrowding, inter-species competition or drastic changes in their habitats.
DOING ENOUGH? The HPA budgets NT$1.3 billion to prevent the health hazards of tobacco, but has no separate budget to fight teen drinking, a doctor said The government should step up alcohol education and prevention efforts, and allocate more of the budget to it, doctors said on Friday, citing the high consumption of alcohol among Taiwanese adolescents. One out of four 12-to-17-year-olds has consumed alcohol, said Yen Tsung-hai (顏宗海), director of Linkou Chang Gung Memorial Hospital’s Department of Clinical Toxicology. The Health Promotion Administration (HPA) budgets NT$1.3 billion (US$43.9 million) annually to prevent the health hazards of tobacco, but it has not allocated a separate budget for preventing teenage drinking or excessive alcohol use, Yen said. “There is no so-called ‘safe drinking level’ for minors,” because any amount consumed
The Fancy Frontier manga and anime expo held in Taipei over the weekend has sparked controversy, after a participant allegedly contravened the Act on Offenses Against Sexual Morality (妨害風化罪) by publicly exposing her private parts during a photo shoot. The two-day event opened at the Expo Dome at the Taipei Expo Park on Saturday, attracting numerous comic and anime creators, cosplayers, photographers and fans. Allegedly, a female cosplayer who was not wearing any underwear lifted up her skirt and revealed her private parts at an outdoor photography area near the venue. Event organizers said yesterday that to prevent indecent exposure, they have since
YOUNGEST PATIENT: Cases of botulism have been only sporadically reported over the past few years, with two in 2015, six in 2016 and none in the past three years The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the nation’s first case of infant botulism this year, a four-month-old boy in northern Taiwan, as well as five new cases of Japanese encephalitis confirmed last week. The boy was introduced to homemade solid food in the middle of last month, but began to experience constipation and loss of appetite on June 23, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Deputy Director Guo Hung-wei (郭宏偉) said, adding that he was taken to the hospital when he developed a fever and shortness of breath on June 25. In the hospital, the boy also experienced a rapid heartbeat, limb
The National Taiwan Museum’s Railway Department Park in Taipei is to open to the public today. The park in Datong District (大同) near the North Gate (北門, Beimen) is one of the museum’s four branches. During the Japanese colonial era, the site housed the railway department of the Office of the Governor-General of Taiwan’s Bureau of Transportation. After World War II, it served as the headquarters for the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) for several decades. In 2007, it was listed as a national monument under the Cultural Heritage Preservation Act (文化資產保存法). At an opening ceremony yesterday, Minister of Transportation and Communications Lin Chia-lung