Former vice president Annette Lu (呂秀蓮) yesterday urged the government to relaunch an investigation into the so-called “319 shooting case” of 2004, on the ninth anniversary of the incident that still divides society.
“I’m asking for [the relaunch] not only because most people do not think the case is closed, but also because the final report on the case has left many questions unanswered,” Lu told a press conference.
The 319 shooting incident refers to an attack on Lu and then-president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) in Tainan on March 19, 2004, one day before the presidential election.
A bullet grazed Chen’s stomach and left a 13cm wound, while another bullet hit Lu in the knee. Authorities later identified the shooter as Chen Yi-hsiung (陳義雄), who was found dead 10 days after the shooting.
Lu yesterday displayed a written statement obtained from Chen when she visited the former president in prison on Monday. Chen is serving a 20-year sentence for corruption. He expressed his wish to reopen the investigation in the statement.
Lu, who has been studying the case and published a book on the subject, said the final report showed the investigators had made at least five mistakes, including the number of shooters, the location of the “hot zone” — from which the shots were fired — the trajectory analysis of the bullets by Henry Lee (李昌鈺), a US-based forensic scientist, the origin of the gun used in the shooting and the mysterious death of Chen Yi-hsiung.
Further investigation of the points of suspicion might lead to new findings, Lu said.
“The social and political division in Taiwan will not be healed until the truth is revealed,” the former vice president told reporters.
The Legislative Yuan should organize a public hearing and have investigators testify, she said.
Democratic Progressive Party lawmakers, including caucus convener Ker Chien-ming (柯建銘) and Yu Mei-nu (尤美女), said they would propose establishing an investigation committee in the legislature again.
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: