President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday promised to facilitate reforms and focus his attention during his second term on narrowing the wealth gap.
Ma, who doubles as Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) chairman, also called for continuous consolidation of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s (KMT) bases of support as he visited pan-blue strongholds, including Hsinchu, Miaoli and Taipei, to thank campaign staff for their efforts during his presidential election campaign.
Accompanied by vice -president-elect Wu Den-yih (吳敦義), Ma bowed and thanked campaign staff during his visit to Hsinchu City, and said that while he won re-election, he and the KMT would not stop examining their performances and making any necessary improvements.
“I’ve been reflecting on our performance in January’s elections and we must strengthen the areas in which we did not do good enough … We will not win the people’s continuous support unless we work harder and move forward with humility,” he said at the KMT’s Hsinchu City office.
He promised to devote himself during his second term to pushing for more reforms, stressing the need to address economic inequality as a priority amid government measures to achieve social justice and revive the economy.
“Having received another four-year term from the people, I will push forward reforms and transform Taiwan for the better … In particular, we must narrow the wealth gap and have those who have bigger incomes pay more taxes,” he said.
Ma won the presidential election on Jan. 14 with 51.6 percent of the vote, while his main rival, Democratic Progressive Party Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文), received 45.63 percent of the vote.
Although Ma won, the total number of votes he received dropped by more than 767,000, from 7,658,724 in 2008, when he received 58.45 percent of the vote.
Ma yesterday expressed gratitude for the solid support he received in Hsinchu, Maioli and Taipei, and said he expected party staff in the three cities to use their campaign experience to prepare for the elections two years from now.
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,