Taiwan has been informed that the import ban on US beef products containing ractopamine residue could have repercussions for the nation’s long-standing request to be included in the US visa-waiver program, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Shen Lyu-shun (沈呂巡) said yesterday.
Shen made the remarks at the legislature’s Foreign and Defense Committee in response to questions from Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Chang Hsien-yao (張顯耀).
Shen said the US had expressed concern over the import ban by Taiwan, the six-largest market for US beef exports at US$114.3 million in October last year, according to US Meat Export Federation.
Shen said the US government expected to see progress on the ractopmaine issue before talks on a visa-waiver agreement could take place.
“We aim to separate the beef issue from other bilateral issues and hope that both countries can set aside disputes,” Shen said.
On Wednesday last week, American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) Director William Stanton brought up the issue when he gave a speech at the American Chamber of Commerce’s annual Hsieh Nien Fan dinner, saying that he had been criticized by his bosses in Washington because he was sent to Taiwan “to make the beef problem go away, not to make US beef go away.”
The US postponed a meeting of the Trade and Investment Framework Agreement (TIFA) between the two countries early this year because of the Ma administration’s handling of the beef imports issue, removing products from the supermarket shelves when traces of ractopamine were found.
Urged by the US to allow the use of ractopamine in meat products in accordance with standards adopted by the US and 25 other countries, the Taiwanese government had said it would not revise its zero-tolerance policy unless the Codex Alimentarius Commission (Codex) established standards for trace levels of ractopamine.
UNDER INVESTIGATION: Huang’s body was found just outside the bathroom and showed no signs of a struggle, and no alcohol or drugs were found Singer and actor Alien Huang (黃鴻升) was found dead at his home in Taipei’s Beitou District (北投) yesterday. He was 36. Huang was also known by the nickname Xiao Gui (“little ghost”). His body was found when his father went to check on him after being unable to reach him by telephone, and called emergency services to the house at 11am, the Taipei City Police Department said. Huang’s body, which was discovered just outside the bathroom, showed no signs of a physical struggle, and he appeared to have been dead for some time, police said, adding that no drugs or alcohol were
CONFIRMED IN PHILIPPINES: The CECC would conduct contact tracing for the migrant workers to determine if they had come into contact with elderly people or children Six Filipinos tested positive for COVID-19 upon returning home from Taiwan, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday as it reported a case of imported COVID-19 infection, bringing the number of confirmed cases in Taiwan to 500. Philippine authorities reported four of the cases through the National IHR Focal Point, while the other two were reported by the company that they had worked for in Taiwan. The six — five women and one man — are aged from their 20s to 40s, and worked as in-home care workers, domestic workers, factory workers and sailors in Taiwan, said Minister of Health and
The COVID-19 pandemic might not have originated from a seafood market in Wuhan, China, National Taiwan University College of Public Health professor Tony Chen (陳秀熙) said yesterday. While many countries are experiencing second waves of COVID-19 infections, many are also lifting lockdowns to revive their economies, allowing travelers to cross national borders, Chen said. Academics have been questioning whether genetic mutations in the novel coronavirus in different countries have made it more infectious, he added. Academics from different backgrounds have conducted phylogenetic analysis of SARS-CoV-2 genome sequences, he said, adding that the studies can help scientists understand how the virus spread among
The Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) yesterday said that it has allocated NT$68 million (US$2.32 million) to build an Internet-of-things (IoT) platform that would facilitate proactive maintenance of the railway system and enhance service punctuality. The agency said that it decided to build the platform to promote horizontal communication among its departments after an investigation into the Puyuma Express derailment in October 2018 found that its four main departments — electrical engineering, rolling stock, construction and transportation — failed to share information with one another. The platform would use artificial intelligence to analyze maintenance data collected by its departments, including railway crossings,