Declining to comment on allegations that the city government knew about the overpricing of the Xinsheng Overpass construction project two years ago, Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) yesterday promised that would be looked into and that there would be “no limits” to the investigation.
Hau promised to conclude the investigation in two weeks and make public the results.
On Friday, Hau set up a task force headed by him to find out if any corruption or bribery was involved in the purchase plans for the overpass and the Taipei International Flora Expo.
PHOTO: CHU PEI-HSIUNG, TAIPEI TIMES
The latest findings showed that in addition to the flowers and plants for the overpass, the contractor also overcharged for at least seven other purchase plans. As a result, the city government paid up to 12 times the market price for project materials. The initial investigation also showed that the civil servants who handled the project were seriously negligent.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) City Councilor Chuang Ruei-hsiung (莊瑞雄) further raised eyebrows when he on Saturday alleged that the city government was made aware of the overpricing when city auditors pointed out the problems in May 2008. The auditing team was led by City Secretariat Director Yang Hsi-an (楊錫安) who is a member of the new task force established by Hau.
The controversy comes at a sensitive time for Hau, of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT), who is seeking re-election in the Nov. 27 Taipei mayoral election.
KMT Sinbei City candidate Eric Chu (朱立倫), who has appeared at numerous joint election events with Hau over the past three months, yesterday appeared to distance himself from Hau.
He told the press that he would “continue to encourage himself to work harder” when asked whether he believed the episode would impact his own election prospects in Sinbei City.
“I believe that … every single person on the Taipei City municipal team needs to have their screws tightened,” Chu said, adding “this incident is the tip of the iceberg and [they] should use this chance to thoroughly fix some problems.”
Chu’s comments reflect a growing sense of unease by the KMT that the episode could impact not only Hau’s own support in Taipei City, but extend to Chu’s in Sinbei City. Chu is currently battling head-to-head with Democratic Progressive Party’s (DPP) chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文).
Chu and Hau have recently promised increased integration and cooperation between Taipei and Sinbei cities, if elected, including launching joint bids for international events such as the East Asian Games in 2017 and the Asian Games in 2019.
“It further shows that this so-called cooperation is only an election trick,” said Cheng Wen-tsang (鄭文燦), a spokesperson for Tsai’s campaign. “Chu’s first impulse after this affair was to cut and run.”
Cheng said that as an issue that involves the misuse of taxpayer money, the public was watching closely to see how the government resolved the problem, not just in Taipei City, but all over Taiwan.
“It’s not simply a local issue anymore, it’s a national one and we believe how the KMT handles this will impact [Chu’s] election chances in Sinbei City,” he said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a