The National Teachers Association (NTA) said yesterday that it disagreed with a Ministry of Education (MOE) draft proposal that would ban students with poor grades from taking college entrance examinations.
NTA president Kevin Wu (吳忠泰) told the Taipei Times that the MOE may be trying to execute Premier Liu Chao-shiuan’s (劉兆玄) plan to control the quality of college students.
“However, it is going about it in the wrong way,” Wu said.
Wu said the ministry should require that every university department establish an entrance threshold instead of prohibiting high school students with poor grades from taking college entrance examinations.
“The approaches to learning in high school and college are different. Students who perform poorly in high school may not necessarily remain underachievers in college,” Wu said.
Wu was responding to the ministry’s plan to ban high school graduates who fail to complete 160 credits by graduation from taking part in college entrance examinations the same year they graduate.
A story on the front page of the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) said yesterday that the ministry also planned to bar from graduation high school students who fail more than half of their credits in Chinese literature, English and math.
Currently, high school students who complete 160 credits, score more than 60 points on average on a scale of one-to-100 each academic year and do not have three major demerits are allowed to graduate.
High school graduates or those who earn the same amount of credits as high school graduates are allowed to enter college entrance examinations.
Lin Wen-hu (林文虎), vice chairman of the National Alliance of Parents Organization, said he was also opposed to the plan.
“Grades in high school are not reliable because they have a lot to do with a teacher’s personal style,” Lin said. “Depriving students of the opportunity to take college entrance examinations doesn’t make sense.”
A high school student surnamed Wu also criticized the plan.
“Different schools or teachers have different grading standards,” he said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not