A group of 13 protesters from Hong Kong, Macau and the US yesterday marched to the Presidential Office to demand President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) resignation over what they called his failure to safeguard the Republic of China’s (ROC) sovereignty over the disputed Diaoyutai Islands.
The group also lodged a protest in front of the Interchange Association, Japan’s de facto embassy, yesterday morning.
Chinese Association for Protecting Diaoyutai spokesman James Hu (胡卜凱) said the group’s annual visit to the island chain on Monday night had been undermined by the government after the owner of the ship that was to take them received pressure from government officials.
The ship owner received several visits from government officials who threatened to revoke his fishing license and enforce stricter rules on all fishing companies in Shenao Port (深澳) if he agreed to set sail with the association’s members, the group said.
Leung Kwok-hung (梁國雄), a member of the Hong Kong Legislative Council, said last week that the Chinese government had ordered the Hong Kong “defenders of Diaoyutai” to turn their ship back while en route to the island chain.
The islands remain a bone of contention between China, Japan and Taiwan, who all claim sovereignty over the islands.
Hu said that during a meeting with National Security Council Secretary-General Su Chi (蘇起) last week, Su advised the group against traveling to the area because several Japanese vessels were patrolling the waters around the islands and asked the group to postpone their annual visit until next month or July.
“But at the moment, it looks like we will not be able to set sail anytime in the future,” said Hu, calling Ma a traitor in cahoots with China to hand over the Diaoyutai to Japan.
Last June, the government dispatched several coast guard ships to escort the group when it went to the Diaoyutai.
Vicky Ching (郭譽珮) resident of California’s Bay Area, said that during the campaign trail, Ma repeatedly defended the ROC’s sovereign claims to the island chain to woo votes, “but now that he has become president, he is cooperating with China to give the Diaoyutai away to Japan.”
Ching and her husband, Hsiang Wu-chung (項武忠), who participated in the “protect Diaoyutai” movement 30 years ago, along with eight others, marched to the Presidential Office to demand to see Ma.
At press time, Ching and Hsiang were still at the Presidential Office and said they would not leave until they saw Ma face-to-face.
SPACE VETERAN: Kjell N. Lindgren, who helps lead NASA’s human spaceflight missions, has been on two expeditions on the ISS and has spent 311 days in space Taiwan-born US astronaut Kjell N. Lindgren is to visit Taiwan to promote technological partnerships through one of the programs organized by the US for its 250th national anniversary. Lindgren would be in Taiwan from Tuesday to Saturday next week as part of the US Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs’ US Speaker Program, organized to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) said in a statement yesterday. Lindgren plans to engage with key leaders across the nation “to advance cutting-edge technological partnerships and inspire the next generation of scientists and engineers,”
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus yesterday said it opposes the introduction of migrant workers from India until a mechanism is in place to prevent workers from absconding. Minister of Labor Hung Sun-han (洪申翰) on Thursday told the Legislative Yuan that the first group of migrant workers from India could be introduced as early as this year, as part of a government program. The caucus’ opposition to the policy is based on the assessment that “the risk is too high,” KMT caucus secretary-general Lin Pei-hsiang (林沛祥) said. Taiwan has a serious and long-standing problem of migrant workers absconding from their contracts, indicating that
UNREASONABLE SURVEILLANCE: A camera targeted on an road by a neighbor captured a man’s habitual unsignaled turn into home, netting him dozens of tickets The Taichung High Administrative Court has canceled all 45 tickets given to a man for failing to use a turn signal while driving, as it considered long-term surveillance of his privacy more problematic than the traffic violations. The man, surnamed Tseng (曾), lives in Changhua County and was reported 45 times within a month for failing to signal while driving when he turned into the alley where his residence is. The reports were filed by his neighbor, who set up security cameras that constantly monitored not only the alley but also the door and yard of Tseng’s house. The surveillance occurred from July
TRADE-OFF: Beijing seeks to trade a bowl of tempura for a Chinese delicacy, an official said, while another said its promises were attempts to interfere in the polls The government must carefully consider the national security implications of building a bridge connecting Kinmen County and Xiamen, China, the Public Construction Commission (PCC) said yesterday. PCC Commissioner Derek Chen (陳金德), who is also a minister without portfolio, made the remarks in a meeting of the legislature’s Transportation Committee, after Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Hsu Fu-kuei (徐富癸) asked about China’s proposal of new infrastructure projects to further connect Kinmen and Lienchiang (Matsu) counties with Xiamen. China unveiled the bridge plan, along with nine other policies for Taiwan, on Sunday, the last day of Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairwoman Cheng Li-wun’s (鄭麗文) visit