Two suspected gangsters were released on bail yesterday after being questioned by Taipei prosecutors over their involvement in an alleged assault on Tainan City Councilor Wang Ting-yu (王定宇).
Huang Ju-yi (黃如意) and Wu Yi-wei (吳奕偉) were released on bail of NT$300,000 and NT$100,000 respectively. They have been listed as defendants in the investigation.
Huang had tried to leave the country via Kinmen on Tuesday but was blocked and detained.
Wang held a press conference earlier on Tuesday, saying he had been held hostage, threatened and assaulted by Huang and his associates last Thursday as part of an alleged plot by pro-China gangsters.
Wang said the gangsters wanted revenge for his involvement in an incident involving Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Strait (ARATS) Vice Chairman Zhang Mingqing (張銘清).
Zhang fell to the ground after being jostled by independence supporters led by Wang during a visit to the Confucius Temple in Tainan on Tuesday last week.
“Prosecutors decided to list them both as defendants, even though Wang said only Wu threatened him,” said Lin Chin-chun (林錦村), spokesman for the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office.
Taipei Prosecutor Deng Ding-chiang (鄧定強) talked to Huang, Wu and Wang on Tuesday but made no detentions.
Huang was then detained in Kinmen later on Tuesday after he was caught trying to board a ferry to Xiamen, China. Huang told reporters he had not been told he must stay in the country.
The two men were detained for more questioning but released on bail and barred from leaving the country.
“What they said in their statements and conversations with prosecutors did not match up, so we still need to figure out who was lying,” Lin said.
Lin said Wang told prosecutors he had only met Huang about three times, while Huang said they had been friends for at least seven years.
In his account, Wang accused Wu of threatening that if he did not publicly apologize to Zhang, he might be killed by a “single shot.”
But Huang told prosecutors that Wu only said he would “beat Huang up” and not that he would shoot him.
Meanwhile, DPP Legislator Lin Shu-fen (林淑芬) yesterday urged Government Information Office (GIO) Minister Vanessa Shih (史亞平) to condemn news channels that aired the footage showing Huang demanding an apology from Wang.
Lin said showing the footage violated journalistic ethics.
In response, Shih said the GIO was against broadcasting violent footage, but it was the National Communications Commission’s responsibility to deal with the matter.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY FLORA WANG
COSTLY TECH FAILURE: More than 25,000 files for nearly 8,000 students from 81 schools were lost when system administrators updated a server, the Ministry of Education said The academic records of 7,854 high-school students have been lost due to a hard-drive failure, the Ministry of Education said yesterday. The records were being stored at National Chi Nan University, which was commissioned by the ministry’s K-12 Education Administration to host a computer server of student portfolios that universities could access to evaluate their applications. Under a program introduced in 2019 for high-school students starting that year, students are to create portfolios to be used for university applications, which include their grades, extracurricular activities and other information related to their character and achievements. System administrators discovered that files were missing when rebooting
921 EARTHQUAKE: The magnitude 7.3 quake left 2,456 people dead and 10,718 injured, while 53,661 houses were fully destroyed and 53,024 houses damaged The Central Weather Bureau yesterday received about 50,000 views on Facebook after it posted the data that it collected on Sept. 21, 1999, when the nation was devastated by a magnitude 7.3 earthquake. The data showed that the 921 Earthquake hit the nation at 1:47am, with the epicenter being 7km southwest of the bureau’s quake detection center in Nantou County’s Yuchi Township (魚池) at a depth of 8km. The quake left 2,456 people dead and 10,718 injured, while 53,661 houses were fully destroyed and 53,024 houses damaged, with the cost of the damage estimated at NT$300 billion (US$10.8 billion at the current
CONFUSING RESULTS: A New Taipei City worker tested positive for COVID-19 in a rapid test and a PCR test, but negative in a traditional nucleic acid test, the CECC said Travelers from Bangladesh, Brazil and Peru are no longer required to quarantine at a government center, and from Saturday can choose to quarantine at hotels, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. The three nations are no longer considered “key high-risk countries,” as their COVID-19 case numbers have continued to fall, the CECC said, adding that no travelers from these countries have been confirmed to be infected with COVID-19 in the past two months. The revised classification would allow travelers from the three countries to choose where they stay during their mandatory 14-day quarantine, although they would be required to pay
‘TECHNICALITY’: The full moon was at 7:55am, but the Taipei Astronomical Museum said it technically remained a ‘real’ full moon when it rose again at night The Mid-Autumn Festival had a “real” full moon, the first time the astronomical categorization has fallen on the day of the festival since 2013, the Taipei Astronomical Museum said yesterday. The festival, which falls on the 15th day of the eighth month of the lunar calendar — which this year was yesterday — does not always coincide with an exact full moon, the museum said. A full moon occurs when the Earth is between the sun and the moon — or, more precisely, when the ecliptic longitudes of the sun and the moon differ by 180° — which has a cycle of