The National Communications Commission's decision to issue a license to a new free cable adult TV channel received mixed reviews in the legislature yesterday, with several female legislators frowning on the decision while their male counterparts said the move would contribute to a higher birth rate.
The company behind the controversy is Star-Winged Corp (
Approached for comment, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Diane Lee (
"Many of our social [scandals] occur because our children and teenagers have misconceptions about sex. If we relax restrictions on adult [programming] like this, it is surely a cause for concern," Lee said.
She added that the commission should take its role more seriously.
Commission spokesperson Howard Shyr (石世豪) said on Wednesday that Star-Winged would not be required to charge a subscription fee for the channel. However, he said the channel would be encoded and that people would have to buy set-top decoder boxes to view it.
The company's proposal said the channel would provide adult movies from Japan and the US as well as "erotic visuals," Shyr said.
Shyr said the approval process was "routine" and had not deviated significantly from the commission's policy on adult programming.
He disagreed with media reports that described the new channel as "free" or "a first" for the commission.
"Other companies have applied for the same license," Shyr said. "It is not a premium channel or a pay-per-view channel. It is a basic cable channel -- but that is not quite the same thing as `free,' since consumers will still have to pay for set-top [decoder] boxes."
Packages offered by cable companies for set-top boxes vary in cost, but none of them are free, Shyr said.
KMT legislative whip Kuo Su-chun (
"TV channels are supposed to be suitable for all families to watch together," Kuo said.
Meanwhile, Lin Chih-yang (林志揚), CEO of Star-Winged, said the issue had been blown out of proportion.
"This is the same kind of programming that we already have on our pay channels," Lin said.
In order to stay within the bounds of the law, genitals will be electronically blurred in the video broadcast by Lin's networks.
"Any reports that we are actually going to show hardcore porn are completely inaccurate," he said.
Despite the controversy sparked by the commission's decision, wider availability of adult programming would be beneficial on a number of levels, gynecologist and honorary president of the Taiwan Association for Sexuality Education Jeng Cherng-jye (鄭丞傑) said.
"Even the new adult channel will end up broadcasting the same mediocre pornography we already get on the paid adult channels. The public will come out on top because they can now save on their cable bill," Jeng said.
Jeng estimated that of the approximately 5 million cable subscribers in the country, less than 10 percent possess set-top cable boxes.
However, Jeng said he hoped the new channel would import better quality adult programming from Europe and the US with higher production values and "more interesting narratives."
"There is a lot that couples can learn from such programs that might improve their sex lives," Jeng said. "I suppose it is possible that it might translate into a higher birth rate."
Jeng dismissed the view that making adult programming widely available would raise the level of sex crimes or taint young peoples' view of sexuality.
"Watching porn does not turn people into sex criminals. It is the parents' responsibility to make sure their children do not have access to the code that de-scrambles the channel," Jeng said.
"Besides, this stuff is already on the Internet," he added.
A total lunar eclipse coinciding with the Lantern Festival on March 3 would be Taiwan’s most notable celestial event this year, the Taipei Astronomical Museum said, urging skywatchers not to miss it. There would be four eclipses worldwide this year — two solar eclipses and two lunar eclipses — the museum’s Web site says. Taiwan would be able to observe one of the lunar eclipses in its entirety on March 3. The eclipse would be visible as the moon rises at 5:50pm, already partly shaded by the Earth’s shadow, the museum said. It would peak at about 7:30pm, when the moon would
A New York-based NGO has launched a global initiative to rename the nation’s overseas missions, most of which operate under the name "Taipei," to "Taiwan Representative Office (TRO)," according to a news release. Ming Chiang (江明信), CEO of Hello Taiwan, announced the campaign at a news conference in Berlin on Monday, coinciding with the World Forum held from Monday through Wednesday, the institution stated in the release. Speaking at the event, Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Huang Jie (黃捷) said she believed this renaming campaign would enable the international community to see Taiwan
DEFENSE: The US should cancel the US visas or green cards of relatives of KMT and TPP lawmakers who have been blocking the budget, Grant Newsham said A retired US Marine Corps officer has suggested canceling the US green cards and visas of relatives of opposition Taiwanese lawmakers who have been stalling the review of a proposed NT$1.25 trillion (US$39.7 billion) special defense budget. The Executive Yuan has proposed the budget for major weapons purchases over eight years, from this year to 2033. However, opposition lawmakers have refused to review the proposal, demanding that President William Lai (賴清德) first appear before the Legislative Yuan to answer questions about the proposed budget. On Thursday last week, 37 bipartisan US lawmakers sent a letter to Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜), the heads
TOO DANGEROUS: The families agreed to suspend crewed recovery efforts that could put rescuers in danger from volcanic gases and unstable terrain The bodies of two Taiwanese tourists and a Japanese pilot have been located inside a volcanic crater, Japanese authorities said yesterday, nearly a month after a sightseeing helicopter crashed during a flight over southwestern Japan. Drone footage taken at the site showed three bodies near the wreckage of the aircraft inside a crater on Mount Aso in Kumamoto Prefecture, police and fire officials said. The helicopter went missing on Jan. 20 and was later found on a steep slope inside the Nakadake No. 1 Crater, about 50m below the rim. Authorities said that conditions at the site made survival highly unlikely, and ruled