Siew declines invitation
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) vice presidential candidate Vincent Siew (蕭萬長) has declined an invitation to attend a world Chinese businessmen's conference in Japan, a KMT spokesman said yesterday. The Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times' sister newspaper) reported yesterday that Siew was listed as one of the honorary chairmen of the 9th World Chinese Entrepreneurs Convention in Kobe. The convention, which is being sponsored by China, includes such pro-China figures as Zheng Bijian (鄭必堅) and Yotaro Kobayashi, the heads of the China-Japan Friendship 21st Century Committee. Su said Siew decided a year ago that he would be unable to attend the conference because of his busy itinerary. Su said he was baffled by reports describing the conference as opposing independence for Taiwan and promoting unification. He said there are many honorary chairmen listed for the conference, including several former Japanese prime ministers. Su said Siew's invitation was indicative of his stature in the world of international trade.
Songshan police admit error
The Songshan Precinct of Taipei City Police Department admitted yesterday it had erred in identifying three decorators as thieves and apologized, but the trio refused to accept the apology. On May 30, an office on the seventh floor of a building in Sungshan reported NT$10,000 was missing. The precinct gave TV stations footage from the building's security video which showed Liao Keng-jen (廖庚仁) and his two sons passing cash to one another in the elevator about the time the robbery was reported. The police asked the public to "help catch these three men as quickly as possible." The Liaos, however, had been working on a renovation project on the 11th floor of the building and the money in the elevator was their pay. Liao and his sons went to the precinct to complain. Precinct Director Huang Chia-lu (黃嘉祿) admitted the error and apologized. Liao declined to accept the apology and asked Huang to step down. "I will step down if I have to," Huang said.
CWB watching storm
Tropical Storm Manyi formed at 2am yesterday near Guam, but it was unlikely to become a threat to Taiwan in the next few days, the Central Weather Bureau (CWB) said yesterday. As of press time, the center of the storm was located 500km south-southwest of Guam and was moving northwest at a speed of 23kph. It was to early to say whether the storm will head toward Taiwan, the bureau said. However, the bureau issued a precipitation alert for Taipei city and county, and Taoyuan, Hsinchu, Chiayi and Tainan counties. The bureau estimated that the rain in Chiayi County's Taibao Township (太保) measured 76.5mm in less than an hour yesterday.
■ CROSS-STRAIT TIES
Dance troupe visits China
More than 40 members of Kinmen's Wuchiang Dance Troupe left for Xiamen yesterday to take part in a summer camp with Xiamen's Little Egret Folk Dance Troupe. The group, made up mostly of students, traveled by boat. The delegation will stay in Xiamen for eight days. Wuchiang troupe supervisor Chang Hui-ling (張慧玲) said the visit was intended to expose his dancers to a different techniques and a different environment. The Little Egret troupe was established in 1993 and was the first professional folk dance troupe in China. The Wuchiang Dance Troupe was established in 2002.
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
A Belgian man who tested positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan last week is likely to have contracted the disease in Taipei in late June, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Saturday reported that the man, who is in his 20s, came to Taiwan for work on May 3 and tested positive on Wednesday last week as he was about to depart. The man in March reported loss of taste and smell, the center said, adding that he worked in Changhua County, but visited Taipei several times,