The Ministry of the Interior and the Garden of Hope Foundation yesterday launched a hotline and Web site to help teens deal with unwanted pregnancies and other sexual matters.
Taiwan has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in Asia, with 30,000 teen pregnancies annually. Thanks to government intervention, however, the teen pregnancy rate declined from nearly 13 percent in 2003 to 6.62 percent this year, foundation director Chi Hui-jung (
A nonprofit organization dedicated to helping disadvantaged women and children, the foundation will staff the ministry-funded hotline with the aim of further lowering the country's pregnancy rate, Chi said.
Thousands of babies from such pregnancies are entrusted to the care of others yearly "because their little daddies and mommies aren't ready to take care of them," a foundation press release said.
Presiding over the ceremony to launch the services yesterday, Minister of the Interior Lee Yi-yang (
"Now we have a national hotline for these teens," Lee said.
The foundation will also maintain a "hip" Web site featuring Japanese animation to educate teens on matters of sex and pregnancy, Chi said.
Those in need of help who are too shy to call the hotline can send messages to foundation counselors via the Web site, she said.
The foundation's Web site (www.257085.org.tw) and hotline (0800-25-7085) were both operational as of yesterday, according to the release. The hotline is staffed from 9am to 9pm, Monday to Saturday, it added.
The government-backed services are the latest efforts in a string of programs and legislation to help pregnant teens.
Earlier this month, for example, the Ministry of Education announced its plans to make a new sex education curriculum compulsory for high school students.
Among other sex-related subjects, the curriculum would focus on teen pregnancy, said Chen Yi-hsing (陳益興), the education ministry's director of secondary education.
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: