The US said it was satisfied with the way that President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) dealt with the National Unification Council and guidelines on Monday, saying that his action in mothballing the council did not amount to a unilateral change in the status quo, thus satisfying Washington's main concern in relation to the dispute.
"We welcome President Chen's reaffirmation of his administration's commitment to cross-strait peace and stability, and Taiwan's commitment to the pledges that President Chen made in his inaugural address to not unilaterally alter the status quo in the Taiwan Strait," White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters in Washington.
Chen's decision "did not abolish the National Unification Council," McClellan said.
PHOTO: CNA
The laudatory tone was echoed by Adam Ereli, the State Department spokesman, who told his daily press briefing that Chen "reaffirmed his continuing commitment to the pledges he made in his 2000 inaugural address not to change the status quo across the Straits [sic]."
But Ereli indicated that the wording Chen used in his announcement may not have completely erased the mistrust that the issue has stirred up.
"We attach great importance to that commitment," Ereli said, "and we'll be following his follow-through carefully."
"And we certainly look forward to [Chen] fulfilling those commitments," he said.
McClellan and Ereli also called on Beijing to open a dialogue with Chen and his government to work out differences on cross-strait policy, indicating that they felt Chen's compromise on the unification issue should be reciprocated by Beijing by opening dialogue with Chen's government.
"The United States continues to also stress the need for Beijing to open a meaningful dialogue with the duly elected leadership in Taiwan that leads to a peaceful resolution of their differences," McClellan said.
Ereli declined to say whether the US considered the unification council issue closed.
"For us, the episode is closed or the issue is closed when parties on both sides of the Straits [sic] resolve their differences [through cross-strait dialogue," he said.
The wording of Chen's announcement that the council will "cease functioning" and the guidelines will "cease to apply" was the result of weeks of intense pressure exerted on Chen by the Bush administration not to abolish the council.
After his Lunar New Year speech late last month, when Chen first announced that he was considering scrapping the council and guidelines, the US complained loudly that such a move would unilaterally change the "status quo" across the Taiwan Strait, breaking a bedrock principle of US cross-strait policy.
After weeks of jawboning -- including the dispatch of high-level US officials to Taipei for talks with Chen, the details of which remain secret -- the US managed to get Chen to back away from his abolition plan.
But US officials refused to say whether the words Chen used on Monday were dictated by them.
The logjam was broken several days ago, when Chen agreed to "freeze," rather than "abolish," the workings of the council and applicability of the guidelines.
It is not clear what Chen got in return for bowing to US pressure. US officials say there was no quid pro quo, such as a pledge by Washington to lean harder on Beijing to open talks with the Chen government.
But Ereli asserted that there cannot be meaningful cross-strait dialogue "if there isn't the confidence between both sides that the other one isn't taking unilateral steps."
According to Ereli, Chen's words amounted to "freezing" the unification mechanism, an acceptable compromise between the conflicting desires of Chen and Washington.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a