President Chen Shui-bian (
"I respect and understand those who are opposed to the special procurement budget for purchasing advanced weaponry, as this is a democratic country" Chen said. "However, I completely disagree with their claim that the budget is the price that Taiwan must pay when asking for protection."
"The package of eight diesel submarines is at the top of the list of the military's 15-year weapons procurement plan," Chen said yesterday. "Some people say the plan is a result of pressure from the US government, but such a claim is far from the truth and not fair to the Bush administration."
Earlier in the day, Chen led reporters on a tour of submarines during amphibious exercises at the Tsoying base in Kaohsiung.
The Presidential Office then arranged a reception for Chen and reporters in Tainan County so he could explain why the submarines had to be bought.
Chen said that after US President George W. Bush was elected in 2000, the Bush administration suggested that Taiwan draw up a long-term plan for weapons purchases to mitigate China's perennial opposition to US-Taiwan arms deals.
After careful evaluation, Chen said, the Ministry of National Defense decided to make three items their priority -- the diesel submarines, land-based Patriot III missiles and P-3C Orion submarine-hunting aircraft. The government submitted the list to the US government in April 2001.
"We were surprised and delighted that the Bush administration approved our requests straight away," he said.
Chen said that the public considers the Aegis destroyers to be the most important purchase, but "the defense minister told me that the submarines were actually what Taiwan needed most."
Chen stressed that the Navy only had two competent submarines in operation, which was far less than what the military needed to patrol the Taiwan Strait.
"We only have four submarines, but two of them are actually antiques, so much so that I dare not ask you to inspect them," he told reporters.
To gain legislative support for the NT$610 billion procurement plan, Chen said the Cabinet was planning to spread the NT$610 billion budget over 15 years, meaning that the government only needed to allocate NT$40 billion per year.
"The annual NT$40 billion procurement budget combined with the annual NT$260 billion defense budget amounts to less than 3 percent of the gross domestic product, which is lower than Israel, Singapore and South Korea -- not to mention China," Chen said. "So, the budget for the military will obviously not encroach on social welfare, education or other areas of the budget."
Asked about US ties, Chen said that creating the conditions for substantial relations was much more important than if he would be able to visit Washington during his term in office.
"What I am concerned about is facilitating economic exchanges and trade and cooperating on international matters such as bringing about a free-trade agreement and signing other documents relating to international cooperation," Chen said.
"The public should not evaluate US-Taiwan ties based on the sole criterion of my visiting the US capital," he said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not