Despite the Ministry of Education's opposition, the Taipei City Govern-ment's Bureau of Education yesterday afternoon announced the score range of the Basic Competency Tests (BCT) on its Web site for the city's junior-high school graduates, saying the announcement protects the rights of the examinees, parents and teachers.
"We think the announcement will create a double win for the ministry and the bureau. It was never a political wrestling match with the central government as the public thinks," bureau chief Wu Ching-chi (
"We hope the ministry would look the announcement with a tolerant attitude since Taipei City has more diverse students, who face keener competition than those in other cities and need such a reference to choose the most suitable high schools for themselves," Wu said.
Wu said the bureau has conducted a survey about the announcement of the scoring range and found more than 87 percent of students, parents and teachers were in favor of knowing the range in order to make decisions about high-school applications.
Wu said that the bureau could understand the ministry's fear that the score range would become the only reference for students, but he stressed that students need more information and independence to select the schools they want.
However, the director of the ministry's Department of Secondary Education said yesterday in a press release that Taipei's unilateral announcement has set a bad example for students nationwide because the bureau knowingly violated the law.
"Taipei City Government's Bureau of Education cannot overthrow regulations and laws with the excuse that it conducted a survey about its plan, which we think was an incomplete one," department Director Lee Jan-yao (李然堯) said.
"There would be no democracy or freedom if everyone breaks the law knowingly like the city government," Lee said.
Lee noted that the BCT is a
national examination and education bureaus nationwide have to obey the rules set by the ministry.
"Taipei City could not join in the BCT first but disobeyed the regulations afterward, which is unfair to students and teachers in other cities," Lee said. "It is an example of negative education about law and order."
"We hope students can select a high school based on the schools' features, convenience of transportation and their interests. We want students to understand that the score is not everything," Lee said.
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
A Belgian man who tested positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan last week is likely to have contracted the disease in Taipei in late June, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Saturday reported that the man, who is in his 20s, came to Taiwan for work on May 3 and tested positive on Wednesday last week as he was about to depart. The man in March reported loss of taste and smell, the center said, adding that he worked in Changhua County, but visited Taipei several times,