President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) yesterday said that Chinese interference will not stop him from going ahead with a planned national referendum.
"To criticize our efforts to pursue the universal value of democracy and peace again proves that Beijing is the real trouble-maker," Chen told visiting members of a US think tank at the Presidential Office.
"The crucial problem of the cross-strait issue is Beijing's insistence on the `one China' principle, while the US government has the `one China' policy and Taiwan defines `one China' as an `issue,'" Chen said.
"If Beijing insists that `one China' is a precondition, then it is difficult for both sides to sit down and talk," the president said. "If `one China' is just an issue, then we can discuss it, and even set it aside to focus on economic and trade subjects."
Chen was meeting with a delegation from the National Committee on US-China Relations, which is regarded as a "red-team," or pro-China, think tank.
Opposition parties described on Monday this delegation as Washington's unofficial channel of communication to Taiwan and claimed that the delegation was set to deliver the US government's opposition to Chen's referendum plan.
Chen yesterday asked the US visitors three questions: Were they coming to oppose the referendum; did they shoulder any political mission; and were they representing the US government to deliver any message?
Head of the delegation, J. Stapleton Roy -- former US ambassador in Beijing -- replied that they were not the US government's special envoys and were here to collect information and to further understand the president's idea.
Roy said that "regarding US-Taiwan relationships, the committee's stand tallies with that of the US government."
"The US consistently supports Taiwan's democratization and will never interfere in Taiwan's democracy," Roy said.
Chen also said that his call for a new constitution and the country's first ever "national referendum" would both achieve and deepen democracy.
"The passage of the Referendum Law was the first step to consolidating Taiwan's democracy," Chen said. "My idea of holding a `peaceful referendum' has no relation with independence and does not violate my `five noes' promise."
"Facing Beijing's threats, the people of Taiwan have the right to say `no' to China," Chen said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not