DPP legislators Liu Shyh-fang (劉世芳) and Chiu Chuang-chin (邱創進) yesterday accused police in the small town of Ningte (寧德), in China's Fujian Province of extorting ransom money after detaining Taiwanese men who went there to get married.
Secretary-General Shi Hwei-yow (許惠祐) of the Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF, 海基會) disclosed similar cases on Monday, but Liu gave further details in a press conference held by him and Chiu about how Chinese police in Ningte allegedly held Taiwanese men for ransom.
Liu said that, shortly after the Taiwanese men had completed the wedding formalities, Chinese police arrested them on trumped up charges, such as "faking marriage" and "illegally entering China," before demanding a ransom for their release.
According to the director of the SEF's department of legal affairs, Lin Shu-min (
"We suspect that the police force in Ningte is riddled with corruption. If Taiwanese men want to marry Chinese women, we suggest that they avoid Ningte where their lives and money are at risk," said Chiu.
During the press conference, Liu invited an alleged victim, surnamed Chu, to discuss his experience over the telephone.
Chu said that he arrived in China on Nov. 23 last year to marry a Chinese woman, but was arrested by Chinese police on Dec. 14. He was released on Jan. 30 after paying 50,000 yuan (US$6,100).
Chu accused the Ningte police of bringing trumped up charges against him of "practicing deception on Chinese nationals," and of assaulting him during his period of detention.
Chu said that a friend of his, surnamed Chung, was arrested on a charge of "faking marriage" and held for eight months, before paying 200,000 yuan (US$24,400) for his release.
Lin said the SEF had tried to find out out as much as it could about the situation via all possible channels, including sending letters requesting the assistance of its Chinese counterpart, the Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Strait (ARATS,
"We hope that the detention of Taiwanese citizens by Chinese police in Ningte are only isolated cases, because they have seriously damaged the trust between the people of Taiwan and China." Liu said.
The lawmakers also called for a resumption of dialogue between Taiwan and China, saying that dialogue would help to solve disputes of this sort.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not