England pace bowler James Anderson on Saturday took a career best of seven for 42 to destroy the West Indies’ batting on the third day of the third Test at Lord’s and set up his team for a 2-1 series victory.
After the West Indies had been dismissed for 177 in their second innings, England reached 107 for one to ensure they retained the Wisden Trophy with more than two days’ play remaining in the final Test of the English summer.
Anderson, who on Friday became the first England bowler to take 500 Test wickets, captured the key wicket of Shai Hope for 62 immediately after lunch and two balls later bowled Devendra Bishoo for a duck.
He then bowled Kemar Roach for three to better his previous best of seven for 43 against New Zealand at Trent Bridge in Nottingham in 2008.
Bowling under clear skies on the third morning of a match in which 23 wickets fell on the first two days, Anderson, with two wickets already from day two, struck twice in the first hour.
Roston Chase was caught behind by Johnny Bairstow for three pushing forward to the fourth delivery of the morning and Jermaine Blackwood fell in similar fashion for five.
England’s fielding was again fallible with Broad dropping Blackwood and failing to hold on to a stinging caught-and-bowled opportunity from wicketkeeper Shane Dowrich, while Alastair Cook failed to take a catch at gully from West Indies’ captain Jason Holder off the last ball before lunch bowled by captain Joe Root.
Hope, who scored a century in each innings of the second Test at Headingley when the West Indies squared the series, batted throughout the opening session, playing one glorious cover drive to the boundary off Ben Stokes and brought up his half-century with an equally delightful push to the mid-wicket boundary.
However, with his dismissal after nearly four hours at the crease, the West Indies’ hopes of setting England any sort of challenging target disappeared.
After Bishoo had dismissed Cook LBW for 17 with the leg-spinner’s first delivery of the match, Mark Stoneman (40 not out) and Tom Westley (44 not out), who both needed runs to press their claims for a place in the England side to defend the Ashes in Australia at the end of the year, guided their side home to an untroubled victory.
Stokes was named as the man-of-the-match ahead of Anderson after taking six for 22 in the West Indies’ first innings and then top-scoring with 60 in England’s reply.
“To share the moment with guys I have played 100 Tests with is very special,” Anderson said. “We set a target of not going for many runs this morning and we are just delighted with the result.”
A sudden shortage of locks in Australian rugby union has opened the door for Matt Philip to reclaim his Wallabies jersey, but the Melbourne Rebels player says that the uncertainties wrought by the COVID-19 pandemic have left him with a difficult choice. The Australian yesterday named Philip among 16 Rebels players either set to leave the Super Rugby club or seriously considering it, underscoring the challenge Rugby Australia faces to retain talent. Linked with a move to Section Paloise Bearn Pyrenees, commonly referred to as Pau, in France’s Top 14, Philip said that he had yet to settle his playing future, and
The Rakuten Monkeys remained atop the CPBL table, despite a 5-7 loss to the Uni-President Lions in Taoyuan yesterday, while the CTBC Brothers fell to the Fubon Guardians at the Taichung Intercontinental Stadium. The visiting Guardians blasted three home runs in their 7-3 triumph, helping Dominican pitcher Henry Sosa pocket his second win of the season. Improving his record to 2-2, Sosa sailed through seven innings, allowing six hits while striking out five. He gave up one earned run in the opening frame, with two Brothers relievers mopping up the final two innings. Fubon’s marquee stars, designated hitter Hu Chin-lung and first baseman
When Chinese Super League club Tianjin Tianhai surprisingly thrashed Rafael Benitez’s Dalian Yifang 5-1 to stay in the league in November last year, disgruntled fans were quick to allege corruption — the legacy of a murky past that exploded into scandal 10 years ago. Benitez, who led Liverpool to the 2005 UEFA Champions League title, was perplexed by one of the heaviest defeats of his coaching career, saying: “This is a game that I don’t quite understand.” Despite fan complaints to the Chinese Football Association (CFA), no case was brought and there is no evidence of wrongdoing. However, the haste with which some
Georgian tennis star Nikoloz Basilashvili, ranked 27th in the world, was on Sunday charged with physically assaulting his ex-wife, prosecutors said. A court in Tbilisi charged Basilashvili with perpetrating “violence against a family member committed in the presence of a minor,” before releasing him on US$30,000 bail, prosecutor Natia Guruli said. He faces up to three years in prison if found guilty. Basilashvili’s ex-wife, Neka Dorokashvili, on Sunday told Mtavari TV that Basilashvili “physically assaulted” her on Friday in the presence of their five-year-old son. Basilashvili denied the charges, his lawyer Irma Chkadua said. The 28-year-old won his second ATP Tour title at the China