The longest season in Formula One history also risks becoming its most extended test of patience if efforts to shake up the sport fall flat.
Last year was so predictable that even F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone called it “boring,” while runaway winner Lewis Hamilton agreed the crisis-prone sport was “broken.”
With a record 21 races this year, organizers have been searching hard for ways to boost flagging viewing figures for a series that is too often dominated by one team.
The nightmare scenario is another parade for Mercedes, whose drivers Hamilton and Nico Rosberg won 16 of the 19 grands prix last year and only missed pole position once.
Pre-season testing, in which Mercedes clocked 6,024km, nearly one-third more than their closest rivals Ferrari, has cast a sense of foreboding over this week’s season start in Melbourne.
Chief among the innovations is a much-debated new qualifying format, which steadily eliminates cars one by one and finishes in a top-two shoot-out.
However, the new system does not look like it will have much impact on the quickest drivers, with Rosberg admitting last week he had not even bothered to look at it.
One fear is that it will introduce even more complexity to a sport already heavy on technicalities.
“I read them [qualifying regulations] very briefly and I didn’t understand them,” Toro Rosso’s Carlos Sainz Jr said.
“I just hope that the fans that are not big fans of Formula One and just turn on their TV on Sunday understand it and they know what’s happening,” he added, according to Autosport.com.
The cars should at least make more noise this year, with twin exhausts introduced after complaints from petrol-heads that the hybrid F1 engines were simply too quiet.
A big cut in radio communications is to make a genuine difference, forcing drivers to make decisions rather than rely on their data-crunching teams in the pit lane.
“Strategy, engine mode deployment, tire choices, even up to a point pit stops, a lot will be down to the driver to decide,” Mercedes boss Toto Wolff said on Autosport.com. “Things will be less optimized by algorithms and engineers, and it will give room for error.”
“What I like is that it is the driver who will be taking decisions, and not remote-controlled from the garage,” he added.
Hamilton warned that life was about to get much harder for drivers, who already have trouble mastering their cars’ complicated systems.
“The idea is probably a good thing and you’ll see it evolve over the races,” he said. “We’re all going to struggle, probably in the first race in some way or some form, but we’ve tried to prepare the best way we can.”
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
Uncertainty grips next year’s postponed Tokyo Olympic Games: Will there be fans or empty stadiums in 14 months? How will thousands of athletes, staff members and technical officials travel, be housed and stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic? And the Tokyo Games are not the only event. China, where COVID-19 was first detected, is to hold three mega-sports events in the year after the Tokyo Olympics are set to close. The World University Games in Chengdu, China, are to open, with up to 8,000 athletes, only 10 days after the Tokyo Games close. Next come the Beijing Winter Olympics beginning on Feb. 4, 2022,
When South Korea’s domestic women’s golf tour held its premier event last week — without spectators because of the COVID-19 pandemic — no fewer than three of the world’s top 10 players took part. The country of 52 million people has a disproportionate share of the women’s world golf rankings, providing eight of the current top 20. In a demonstration of their prominence, South Korean women have won at least one major every season since 2010, with coronavirus cancellations perhaps the biggest threat to their run this year. The phenomenon, players and commentators have said, results from driven parents, intense training, a highly
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I