Deontay Wilder’s plan for world domination of the heavyweight division is, at the moment, centered in Alabama.
Not exactly the bright lights of Las Vegas, though that will likely change soon. Still, Wilder is not going to apologize for taking two fights in Birmingham to give fans in his home state a chance to see him defend his piece of the heavyweight title.
“It’s great for the state to give them a different point of view of the sport of boxing, and add another activity to the city and state as far as bringing people to Alabama,” Wilder said.
Photo: AP
Wilder is not going to apologize for his opponents, either, including Saturday night’s opponent du jour, a French journeyman who has never fought in the US.
“We pick our people and our opponent for a reason,” Wilder said. “Either people are with it or against it, but we’re going on our own pace, fighting who we want to fight to get where we want to go.”
Where Wilder wants to go is toward a unification title against Wladimir Klitschko, the long-running champion.
He said he believes the fight will happen, perhaps next year about this time, should both fighters take care of business in the interim.
In the meantime, he is giving the casual fan something that has not been seen in three decades — a heavyweight title fight in prime time on network television.
If the bout with Johann Duhaupas does not exactly bring up images of Ali-Frazier or Tyson-Holyfield, it will be the first heavyweight title fight on NBC since Larry Holmes defended his crown against Carl “The Truth” Williams in 1985.
And it will give Wilder — and the long-beleaguered heavyweight division — some much-needed exposure for a bout that would have likely previously ended up on HBO or Showtime.
“It will give a lot more people a chance to learn about who I am,” Wilder said.
Who Wilder is turns out to be a pretty good story in itself. A wide receiver who wanted at one time to play football for Alabama, the 2.01m Wilder turned to boxing in 2005 and quickly established himself as a big puncher on his way to an Olympic bronze medal in Beijing.
He has won every fight he has had as a pro, stopping his opponents in all but one of his wins. The lone decision was his biggest win, though, when he defeated Bermane Stiverne in January to win the WBC version of the heavyweight title.
The work in the ring has been at times spectacular, though the dearth of competition among heavyweights means the 29-year-old has not always fought the best heavyweights. The jury is still out on whether he can take a punch, or continue to deliver knockouts.
And while the WBC title is one of the more respected ones in boxing, the truth is Wilder will not be universally recognized as a heavyweight champion until he beats Klitschko, who has held his titles for nine years.
Klitschko faces what some think might be a tough test of his own next month, when he takes on the undefeated Tyson Fury.
“When I think about a Klitschko fight, my mind for some reason, has it in the month of September next year,” Wilder said. “A lot depends on the mandatories being out of the way and having a clear date, but he wants it and I want it. Everybody wants that fight.”
While Klitschko is Wilder’s future, Duhaupas is his present. The 34-year-old Frenchman is 32-2, but has fought no one of any note and has never fought in the US. He comes to this fight as an opponent in boxing’s time-honored tradition, with little expectation of winning.
Wilder said Duhaupas was picked because he has a European style and is willing to exchange punches.
“I’m looking at him to bring it,” Wilder said. “Everybody that knows him, even overseas, I’ve heard that he’s a tough guy, a very tough guy. They’ve told me not to take him lightly.”
Wilder has no intention of doing that as he continues with a plan he believes will not only make him the undisputed heavyweight champion one day, but a celebrity who can be a crossover star.
“Now you’ve got an exciting American heavyweight who has a great personality and charisma both inside and outside the ring,” he said. “I’m just made to be a superstar, man, made to be a superstar.”
ADVANTAGE ATLETICO: Well off the pace in La Liga, the Copa del Rey represents Atletico Madrid’s best chance of silverware this season Atletico Madrid on Thursday hammered Copa del Rey holders Barcelona 4-0 in the first leg of their semi-final. After an Eric Garcia own-goal sent Diego Simeone’s side ahead early on, Antoine Griezmann, Ademola Lookman and Julian Alvarez struck to give Atletico a landslide lead by halftime. Barca defender Garcia was sent off in the final stages, with Atletico maintaining their significant advantage on the record 32-time winners, which they take into the second leg at the Camp Nou on March 3. Both sides missed good chances in the second half, with Barca’s Pau Cubarsi having a goal disallowed before Garcia was sent off
Dasun Shanaka hammered the fastest half-century by a Sri Lankan in T20Is as the cohosts thrashed Oman by 105 runs at the World Cup yesterday in Pallekele, Sri Lanka, for their second win in Group B. The 2014 champions piled up 225-5, the highest total of the tournament, before restricting an outclassed Oman to 120-9. The 43-year-old Mohammad Nadeem waged a lone battle for Oman, compiling an unbeaten 53 to become the oldest player to score a 50 in T20 World Cups. Having promoted himself up the order and under pressure to deliver, Sri Lanka skipper Shanaka smashed a 19-ball half-century. It has been
Kawhi Leonard on Sunday scored 41 points, grabbed eight rebounds and made four steals to lead the Los Angeles Clippers in a lopsided 115-96 victory at Minnesota. The 34-year-old forward, a two-time NBA champion, matched the second-best road scoring effort of his career as the Clippers improved to 25-27. “Just being aggressive. My teammates trust me,” Leonard said. “Every moment when I touch the ball — assist, shooting the basketball or getting a rebound — I’m just trying to help the team win.” Leonard made three steals in a row at the start of the contest. “Just wanted to come out early in the
FLOP TO CONQUEROR: It was sweet vindication for Sam Darnold, who played for four NFL teams before his debut season in Seattle ended in the ultimate win The Seattle Seahawks on Sunday coasted to Super Bowl glory, routing the New England Patriots 29-13 as Sam Darnold sealed his journey from flop quarterback to conqueror of the NFL’s biggest prize. Brushing off a reputation for wilting in big games, journeyman quarterback Darnold threw for a touchdown and 200 yards on the grandest stage of all to give the Seahawks their second-ever Lombardi Trophy. “It’s unbelievable. Everything that has happened in my career, but to do it with this team, I wouldn’t want it any other way,” Darnold said. The victory was buoyed by a dominant defensive display and kicker Jason Myers’