Lucas Piazon’s spectacular 90th-minute free-kick gave Eintracht Frankfurt a 2-1 victory against Hamburg SV on Sunday as the former European champions remain rooted to the foot of the Bundesliga.
Haris Seferovic gave Frankfurt the lead in the 44th minute, striking home Timothy Chandler’s pass.
Hamburg finally found the back of the net for the first time this season in the 58th minute as Lewis Holtby crossed to Nicolai Mueller, who got his shot through the legs of Frankfurt goalkeeper Felix Wiedwald.
Hamburg’s first goal came 508 minutes into the season, comfortably snapping VfL Bochum’s previous Bundesliga record of 475 minutes without a goal to start the 1979-1980 season.
Hamburg looked like they would grab a point, but 20-year-old Piazon unleashed a perfectly placed free-kick into the upper right corner to secure the victory.
“He can do that,” Frankfurt coach Thomas Schaaf said.
Frankfurt jumped to seventh place on nine points, five off leaders Bayern Munich, while Hamburg, who were European champions way back in 1983, have just two points from six games.
Augsburg are eighth with nine points following a 1-0 home win over Hertha BSC earlier on Sunday.
Augsburg captain Paul Verhaegh hammered home a penalty in the 27th-minute after Hertha goalkeeper Thomas Kraft had brought down Raul Bobadilla in the box.
“The victory was enormously important because we have two away matches coming up,” Augsburg coach Markus Weinzierl said. “We knew that Hertha would defend and not give us a lot of chances, so it was important that we got the win.”
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
When two Spanish soccer players took to the controls of FIFA 20 after the COVID-19 pandemic saw their La Liga match canceled, a stadium-sized virtual audience watched online. The huge digital crowd last week is part of a spectacular boom for the digital gaming industry, as record numbers flock to online servers for distraction, entertainment and friendship with the “real world” seemingly falling apart. Real Betis Balompie striker Borja Iglesias kicked the winning goal using his own digital likeness in the 6-5 battle against Sevilla, which was broadcast on popular video game streaming platform Twitch. It took place at the same time the
BLAME GAME: The Turkish Boxing Federation president blamed the International Olympic Committee, which denied any link between the event and the infections Organizers of the suspended Europe Olympic boxing qualifiers in London on Thursday hit back at accusations of irresponsibility as the number of competitors and coaches testing positive for COVID-19 grew to six. The Croatian Boxing Federation said that three team members had contracted the disease, a day after Turkey reported positives for two boxers and a coach. The event at the Copper Box, featuring hundreds of male and female fighters seeking places at the now-postponed Tokyo Olympic Games, was halted on Monday last week after three days. The International Olympic Committee’s Boxing Task Force (BTF), which organized the event after last year’s suspension