Two years ago, Jeremy Lin lit up the NBA with his explosive play for the New York Knicks, but he has no desire to recreate “Linsanity” in his new career with the Los Angeles Lakers.
Instead, the 25-year-old point guard is looking forward to making “a fresh start” in Tinseltown without the weight of any self-imposed pressure as he tries to help restore the flagging fortunes of one of the NBA’s leading franchises.
“I’m really excited to be a part of this organization and I’m seeing this as a new start, a fresh start,” Lin said after being formally introduced to the media at the Lakers’ training facility in El Segundo, California, on Thursday.
Photo: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA Today
“I feel the least amount of pressure on my shoulders now than I ever have. One thing I try to do is not let my circumstances dictate the pressure as a player. I don’t think I play well when I do put a lot of pressure on myself,” Lin said. “I know what I want to accomplish as a player and what the right way to play is, and as long as I do that I can hold my head up high and be proud of myself.”
Lin, acquired by the Lakers earlier this month along with a future first-round pick and a second-round pick next year in a trade with the Houston Rockets for the rights to Sergei Lishchuk, will never forget his spectacular spell with the Knicks.
An undrafted and overlooked Ivy League player, he burst on to the scene in his second NBA season with a 25-point, seven-assist performance off the bench against the Nets on Feb. 4, 2012, and went on to total 136 points in his next five starts.
Linsanity was born and highlighted during that sizzling run by a career-high 38-point display on a memorable Friday night against the Lakers at Madison Square Garden in New York.
However, Lin does not want to even attempt to relive “that banner season” following lessons learned in Houston, where he was traded by the Knicks to the Rockets after a season-ending knee injury cut short his time in New York.
“My first year in Houston really taught me that,” said Lin, the first NBA player of Taiwanese descent who has averaged 11.9 points and 4.8 assists per game over his four seasons in the league. “I put a lot of pressure on myself to be that player. Now, my goal is I’m not trying to be a player from the past. I’m trying to make history again. It’s not so much me trying to be something that happened beforehand. I’m trying to look into the future, and be a much better and bigger player than before.”
Lin, who will wear No. 17 for the Lakers, joins a once-great franchise which has racked up 16 NBA championship titles, but finished last season with a dismal 27-55 record, the worst 82-game return in team history.
However, Lin is relishing the prospect of playing alongside five-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant, with whom he has exchanged several texts over the past week.
“I’ve had the privilege to play with a few very good players in Carmelo [Anthony], James [Harden] and now Kobe,” said the point guard, who signed a two-year deal with his hometown Golden State Warriors in 2010, but was then waived before his second season. “One thing he [Bryant] told me is we have a lot of work to do. I think I’ll be able to learn a lot. I’m just excited.”
“[Growing up] I didn’t try to emulate Kobe. His skill set is just clearly different than mine,” Lin added with a broad grin. “I don’t think I’ve ever shot a fadeaway jumper from the mid-post ever.”
Lin could well take over as the starting point guard for the Lakers, with veteran Steve Nash having appeared in only 15 games last season due to nerve damage in his back, but the Harvard graduate is taking nothing for granted.
“I obviously believe that I can start for an NBA team and help that team win,” Lin said. “As a competitor I would obviously love to, but that’s not me coming in saying: ‘I need this or I need that.’ I can’t wait to learn from him [Nash].”
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker found himself in need of an assist to help the state fight the COVID-19 pandemic. He called on the New England Patriots. One of the team’s private airplanes on Thursday evening landed in Boston after returning from China carrying more than 1 million masks critical to healthcare providers fighting to control the spread of the coronavirus. Members of the Massachusetts National Guard met the airplane and offloaded the containers of masks onto waiting trucks for transport to warehouses for distribution. Baker secured the N95 masks from Chinese manufacturers, but had no way of getting them to the US. He
WAIT AND SEE: The estimated cost of postponement started at US$2 billion and has kept rising, but the IOC has yet to say whether it would help pay for the extra expenses Postponing the Tokyo Olympics to next year would make the event more costly for all parties, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) acknowledged on Thursday, although it offered few details on what the final bill might be. Four directors of the Olympic body held a conference call three days after Tokyo’s new dates were finalized, with the Games pushed back to July 23 to Aug. 8 next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the new dates cleared up any uncertainty about the event’s future, there are still plenty of question marks as the committee begins to work with Tokyo organizers and the
MEDIA RUMORS? With no pay agreement secured and players’ representatives calling for more financial information ahead of talks, the sport had another week of bad press Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle could be sacked in a matter of days, media reported yesterday, as the embattled governing body struggles to deal with a financial crisis compounded by a shutdown amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Castle this week took a 50 percent pay cut and laid off 75 percent of Rugby Australia (RA) staff members, saying that the body would face losses of up to A$120 million (US$71.95 million) if no more rugby was played this year. With no pay agreement secured with the players and their representatives calling on RA to provide more financial information ahead of negotiations, the
OLYMPICS Delay pushes rower to retire British rowing gold medalist Tom Ransley on Friday announced his retirement after deciding that the postponement of the Tokyo Olympic Games to next year was a step too far. The 34-year-old was part of the men’s eight who won gold in the 2016 Rio Olympics and also a bronze in the 2012 London Games. “I have used up everything I had and I know that to get myself in the necessary condition to compete for a seat in 2021 is a step too far,” he told the BBC. The years of early starts, of three training