BASKETBALL
Lin’s jersey ‘no big deal’
Houston Rockets point guard Patrick Beverley said yesterday in Taipei during a visit to Taiwan that he hopes to continue playing with teammate Jeremy Lin, amid rumors that Lin will be traded. “Jeremy is like a brother to me,” said Beverley, who was set to attend a three-on-three youth basketball game today. Beverley’s remarks came amid speculation that California-born Lin, whose parents come from Taiwan, will be replaced by the Rockets with free agent Carmelo Anthony, Lin’s former teammate at the New York Knicks. In an overture to Anthony earlier this month, the Rockets put up promotional images of the basketball star wearing a Rockets No. 7 jersey, which currently belongs to Lin. Asked about the images, Beverley said he felt they were no big deal. Beverley said he also gave up his No. 12 jersey to Dwight Howard when he moved from the Los Angeles Lakers to the Rockets. It is an NBA tradition to save jersey numbers for more established players, Beverley said. Beverley is in Taiwan to present the championship titles at the Cathay NBA Youth Madness 3-on-3 today, which are to be final matches for the men’s and women’s division winners from among 2,000 participating youth basketball teams in Taiwan.
BASKETBALL
Kyrie Irving extends contract
Kyrie Irving signed a five-year contract extension on Thursday with the Cleveland Cavaliers as the NBA club made moves that could pave the way for signing free agent superstar LeBron James. Irving’s deal, believed to be worth the maximum US$90 million, ensures the Cavaliers’ point guard will be part of the club’s long-term talent mix. The Cavaliers announced the move on Thursday as fans awaited word on James, the former Cleveland star who left for Miami as a free agent in 2010 and led the Heat to two NBA titles and the past four NBA Finals. James opted out of his contract with the Heat last month, as did fellow Heat stars Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.
TENNIS
Errani reaches quarters
Sara Errani reached her eighth quarter-final of the season and first since the French Open by defeating Paula Ormaechea of Argentina 6-3, 6-0 in the second round of the Gastein Ladies on Thursday. Errani is next to play Chanelle Scheepers of South Africa, who rallied to beat defending champion Yvonne Meusburger 4-6, 6-1, 6-2. Earlier, Shelby Rogers of the US routed the 16th-ranked Carla Suarez Navarro 6-4, 6-0 to reach her first career WTA quarter-final. Rogers, ranked 147th, had not beaten a top-50 player before. Rogers, who won three matches to qualify for the main draw, is next to play No. 7 Camila Giorgi of Italy, who defeated Austrian wild card Lisa-Maria Moser 6-0, 6-2.
BASEBALL
Sale, Rizzo join All-Stars
White Sox pitcher Chris Sale and the Cubs’ first baseman Anthony Rizzo made it a Chicago sweep on Thursday by winning an online fan vote to claim the last two spots in next week’s Major League Baseball All-Star Game. Sale was one of five pitchers nominated on the American League ballot, beating Garrett Richards of the Angels, Rick Porcello of the Tigers, Corey Kluber of the Indians and Dallas Keuchel of the Astros by receiving 6.7 million votes. Rizzo, who homered on Wednesday for his third roundtripper in as many days, beat the Rockies’ first baseman Justin Morneau, Braves outfielder Justin Upton, Nationals infielder Anthony Rendon and Marlins third baseman Casey McGehee with 8.8 million votes.
SOCCER
Wanted Briton on the run
An executive from the World Cup’s hospitality services firm escaped out the back door of his plush Rio de Janeiro hotel on Thursday to avoid arrest on charges of illegally selling tickets, authorities said. Police launched a manhunt for Raymond Whelan, British director of FIFA partner company Match Services, accusing him of fleeing the beachfront Copacabana Palace Hotel after a judge ordered him and 10 other suspects to be held in detention. “The Englishman fled through the hotel’s back door and is considered a fugitive,” Rio police said in a statement. “We saw him in [security] footage leaving in a hurry,” Fabio Barucke, the case’s lead investigator, told reporters, adding that Whelan had fled an hour before police arrived. Whelan is accused of being involved with a scalping network that has sold thousands of tickets worth millions of US dollars, going back to the 2002 World Cup.
SOCCER
FIFA rejects Suarez appeal
FIFA on Thursday rejected Luis Suarez’s appeal against his lengthy ban for biting an opponent, saying its appeals committee rejected the appeal by Suarez and the Uruguay soccer federation in its entirety, but that does not mean Suarez has given up hope of playing on the opening day of next season. The Uruguay and Liverpool star has up to 10 days to get the written decision from FIFA, which he needs to lodge an appeal against the ban with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). If he does lodge the appeal, he could apply to the CAS for an immediate freeze of the sanctions. Suarez was banned for nine competitive international matches, four months from all soccer and fined 100,000 Swiss francs (US$112,000) for biting the shoulder of Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay’s 1-0 win over Italy. It is the third time Suarez has been banned for biting an opponent.
SOCCER
Sanchez signs for Gunners
Chile international striker Alexis Sanchez on Thursday agreed to join Arsenal on a long-term contract for a reported fee of about £35 million (US$60 million), the English Premier League side announced. Sanchez, 25, joins Arsenal from Barcelona, where he made a total of 88 appearances, scoring 39 goals during his three seasons with the Catalan side. The deal represents Arsenal’s second-biggest outlay for a player behind the club record £42.5 million spent on Germany international Mesut Ozil last summer. Sanchez, who won the 2012-2013 La Liga title with Barcelona and the 2012 Copa del Rey, expressed his excitement at joining the north London club. “I’m so happy to be joining Arsenal, a club which has a great manager, a fantastic squad of players, huge support around the world and a great stadium in London,” Sanchez said.
RUGBY UNION
London Welsh sign Weepu
All Blacks scrumhalf Piri Weepu signed for English Premiership side London Welsh yesterday in a move destined to end his international career. Capped 71 times by New Zealand in an international career that started in 2004, the 30-year-old is moving to England from Super XV side the Auckland Blues. Weepu scored 103 points in his All Blacks career and played a leading role in New Zealand’s 2011 World Cup success. However, his decision to sign for the Oxford-based club will signal an end to his international career as the All Blacks have a policy of not selecting players based outside New Zealand. “I’m hugely excited by the opportunity of joining London Welsh and at the challenge of playing in the Premiership,” Weepu said.
ADVANTAGE ATLETICO: Well off the pace in La Liga, the Copa del Rey represents Atletico Madrid’s best chance of silverware this season Atletico Madrid on Thursday hammered Copa del Rey holders Barcelona 4-0 in the first leg of their semi-final. After an Eric Garcia own-goal sent Diego Simeone’s side ahead early on, Antoine Griezmann, Ademola Lookman and Julian Alvarez struck to give Atletico a landslide lead by halftime. Barca defender Garcia was sent off in the final stages, with Atletico maintaining their significant advantage on the record 32-time winners, which they take into the second leg at the Camp Nou on March 3. Both sides missed good chances in the second half, with Barca’s Pau Cubarsi having a goal disallowed before Garcia was sent off
Dasun Shanaka hammered the fastest half-century by a Sri Lankan in T20Is as the cohosts thrashed Oman by 105 runs at the World Cup yesterday in Pallekele, Sri Lanka, for their second win in Group B. The 2014 champions piled up 225-5, the highest total of the tournament, before restricting an outclassed Oman to 120-9. The 43-year-old Mohammad Nadeem waged a lone battle for Oman, compiling an unbeaten 53 to become the oldest player to score a 50 in T20 World Cups. Having promoted himself up the order and under pressure to deliver, Sri Lanka skipper Shanaka smashed a 19-ball half-century. It has been
Kawhi Leonard on Sunday scored 41 points, grabbed eight rebounds and made four steals to lead the Los Angeles Clippers in a lopsided 115-96 victory at Minnesota. The 34-year-old forward, a two-time NBA champion, matched the second-best road scoring effort of his career as the Clippers improved to 25-27. “Just being aggressive. My teammates trust me,” Leonard said. “Every moment when I touch the ball — assist, shooting the basketball or getting a rebound — I’m just trying to help the team win.” Leonard made three steals in a row at the start of the contest. “Just wanted to come out early in the
FLOP TO CONQUEROR: It was sweet vindication for Sam Darnold, who played for four NFL teams before his debut season in Seattle ended in the ultimate win The Seattle Seahawks on Sunday coasted to Super Bowl glory, routing the New England Patriots 29-13 as Sam Darnold sealed his journey from flop quarterback to conqueror of the NFL’s biggest prize. Brushing off a reputation for wilting in big games, journeyman quarterback Darnold threw for a touchdown and 200 yards on the grandest stage of all to give the Seahawks their second-ever Lombardi Trophy. “It’s unbelievable. Everything that has happened in my career, but to do it with this team, I wouldn’t want it any other way,” Darnold said. The victory was buoyed by a dominant defensive display and kicker Jason Myers’