Fri, Jun 14, 2013 - Page 18 News List

Warner suspended until Ashes, fined

Reuters, LONDON

Australia batsman David Warner has been suspended until the first Ashes Test and fined A$11,500 (US$11,000) after reports of a late night bar-room fracas with young England player Joe Root.

Cricket Australia said in a statement after a hearing yesterday that Warner will miss the rest of the Champions Trophy tournament and Australia’s two tour matches against Somerset and Worcestershire before the Ashes.

The batsman, who was fined A$5,750 last month for a Twitter outburst against two journalists, will however be available for the first Test against England starting on July 10.

“Warner pleaded guilty to breaching Rule 6: Unbecoming Behaviour,” the statement said.

The flamboyant left-hander, who was primed to open the batting for Australia in the Ashes, was involved in the incident in the early hours of Sunday morning in Birmingham after Australia’s Champions Trophy defeat by England.

British media have reported that the “unprovoked physical attack,” in the words of the England and Wales Cricket Board, took place in the early hours on Sunday and was triggered by Root wearing a green-and-gold fancy dress wig as a beard.

Warner allegedly attempted to grab the beard and then swung a punch before other players intervened.

This story has been viewed 571 times.
TOP top