Top-seeded Nicolas Almagro of Spain defeated Italian Paolo Lorenzi 6-4, 6-4 on Friday to advance to the US Men’s Clay Court semi-finals.
Fifth-seeded American John Isner also advanced, hitting 19 aces to overpower Lithuania’s Ricardas Berankis 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
Almagro, ranked 12th in the world, is set to next face American wild card Rhyne Williams, who rallied from an 0-3 deficit in the third set to beat Spain’s Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo, 7-6 (7/1), 1-6, 6-4.
Third-seeded Juan Monaco of Argentina, the defending champion, defeated American Robby Ginepri 6-1, 6-0 in the other quarter-final.
Almagro and Lorenzi stayed on serve in the first set until the final game, when Lorenzi double-faulted to start the game and then hit a drop shot that fell short on the first break point.
After trading breaks early in the second set, Almagro won the match with a forehand winner that left his opponent flat-footed.
“I played better than yesterday, but I feel I can do a little bit better and I will look for that,” Almagro said. “I want to get to the final, but I know that match will be tough. I need to be ready to fight for every point.”
The 2.05m Isner dominated his 1.75m opponent in the first set, but Berankis fought back to take the second set, breaking Isner in the eighth game. Isner had 10 aces in the third set, two on the final two points, and made 90 percent of his first-serve points.
“I felt when the rally went past five balls, it didn’t look really good for me,” Isner said. “I tried to keep the points shorter, especially on my serve and I did that exceptionally well except for one game.”
The 22-year-old Williams, ranked 144th in the world, won the first set after sailing through a runaway tiebreaker, but was let down by his serve in the second set and allowed the Spaniard to level the match.
Hidalgo saved two match points to hold his serve in the ninth game of the third set, but Williams served a love final game to win the match, ending it with consecutive aces.
“I was really worn out after the first set,” Williams said. “We played some brutal points. It was an hour long, pretty physical.”
GRAND PRIX HASSAN II
AP, CASABLANCA, Morocco
Top-seeded Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland cruised past Guillermo Garcia-Lopez of Spain 6-1, 6-2 on Friday to move into the semi-finals of the Grand Prix Hassan II.
The 2010 champion is to next play Tommy Robredo of Spain, who beat Benoit Paire of France 7-6 (7/4), 2-6, 6-0.
Second-seeded Kevin Anderson of South Africa also advanced to the last four by defeating Grega Zemlja of Slovenia 6-4, 6-4. He will face Martin Klizan of Slovakia, who knocked out Robin Haase of the Netherlands 7-5, 6-1.
Wawrinka won seven straight games to win the first set and take a 2-0 lead in the second.
The Swiss broke serve twice in each set and saved the only break point he faced with a forehand winner while serving for the match. He clinched the victory when Garcia-Lopez sent a forehand wide.
In the first quarter-final, Robredo saved two set points to force a tiebreaker and took the first set when Paire netted a backhand. The fourth-seeded Paire jumped to a 5-1 lead in the next set and won it with a backhand drop shot.
Paire wasted two break points in the opening game of the third set, and Robredo dominated the rest of the way.
The third-seeded Klizan reached his first semi-final since he won the St Petersburg Open in September last year. Haase dropped two service games in a row to lose the first set and trail 2-0 in the second. Klizan then secured another break at 4-1 before serving out the match.
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker found himself in need of an assist to help the state fight the COVID-19 pandemic. He called on the New England Patriots. One of the team’s private airplanes on Thursday evening landed in Boston after returning from China carrying more than 1 million masks critical to healthcare providers fighting to control the spread of the coronavirus. Members of the Massachusetts National Guard met the airplane and offloaded the containers of masks onto waiting trucks for transport to warehouses for distribution. Baker secured the N95 masks from Chinese manufacturers, but had no way of getting them to the US. He
WAIT AND SEE: The estimated cost of postponement started at US$2 billion and has kept rising, but the IOC has yet to say whether it would help pay for the extra expenses Postponing the Tokyo Olympics to next year would make the event more costly for all parties, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) acknowledged on Thursday, although it offered few details on what the final bill might be. Four directors of the Olympic body held a conference call three days after Tokyo’s new dates were finalized, with the Games pushed back to July 23 to Aug. 8 next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the new dates cleared up any uncertainty about the event’s future, there are still plenty of question marks as the committee begins to work with Tokyo organizers and the
MEDIA RUMORS? With no pay agreement secured and players’ representatives calling for more financial information ahead of talks, the sport had another week of bad press Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle could be sacked in a matter of days, media reported yesterday, as the embattled governing body struggles to deal with a financial crisis compounded by a shutdown amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Castle this week took a 50 percent pay cut and laid off 75 percent of Rugby Australia (RA) staff members, saying that the body would face losses of up to A$120 million (US$71.95 million) if no more rugby was played this year. With no pay agreement secured with the players and their representatives calling on RA to provide more financial information ahead of negotiations, the
OLYMPICS Delay pushes rower to retire British rowing gold medalist Tom Ransley on Friday announced his retirement after deciding that the postponement of the Tokyo Olympic Games to next year was a step too far. The 34-year-old was part of the men’s eight who won gold in the 2016 Rio Olympics and also a bronze in the 2012 London Games. “I have used up everything I had and I know that to get myself in the necessary condition to compete for a seat in 2021 is a step too far,” he told the BBC. The years of early starts, of three training