The arrival of China’s most expensive soccer player, Argentine Dario Conca, is the first step toward a world championship for the club that signed him, its chairman said.
Liu Yongzhuo told reporters the hiring was “just the beginning” for his Chinese Super League club the Guangzhou Evergrande, who paid a record US$10 million transfer fee for the 28-year-old midfielder.
“We will continue to look to the overseas market if we can identify the right targets,” Liu said as he unveiled the former captain of the Brazilian club Fluminense to the Chinese press on Tuesday.
“Our purpose of introducing foreign players is to lift the competitiveness of our team and reach our targets, which include winning the AFC [Asian Football Confederation] Champions League within five years,” Liu said. “We also want to claim the FIFA Club World Championship. If we can’t win the titles, then we will continue to buy more foreign players who play at a high level.”
Guangzhou were relegated two years ago because of a match-fixing scandal, but advanced to the Super League this season, spending a reported US$18 million on transfers ahead of Conca’s signing.
The club is owned by the -Evergrande Real Estate Group, one of China’s top real estate companies, and whose owner Xu Jiayin is reportedly one of China’s richest tycoons.
Conca signed a three-and-a-half-year contract with the Chinese Super League leaders in a deal worth about US$7 million a year after taxes, making him the most expensive player ever in China, according to local media.
Voted player of the season in Brazil last year, he will play alongside some of China’s top players, as well as several Brazilian imports.
“I know I have joined a club with a big vision,” said the player, who scored 40 goals in a three-and-a-half-year stint with Fluminense. “Many outstanding Brazilian players have joined the league and have promoted its image ... I will try to adapt to the life here as soon as possible and score more goals for the club.”
Evergrande are unbeaten this season and lead the 16 team league with 37 points after 15 matches. Second-placed Beijing Guoan are seven points behind.
It was not immediately clear if the midfielder would start in Guangzhou’s match against Nanchang Hengyuan tonight, but the media, which watched him train on Tuesday, said he would likely play.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Friday said that he had called in the “third umpire” as he announced that recreational cricket would be allowed to resume next weekend. In a radio interview earlier on Friday, Johnson angered thousands of club cricketers by saying that the amateur game was still not safe to play amid the COVID-19 pandemic because of issues surrounding communal teas and dressing rooms. “It’s the teas, it’s the changing rooms and so on and so forth. There are other factors involved that generate proximity which you might not get in a game of tennis,” he said. Johnson had already
Hong Kong media reported that police briefly detained a man in a Liverpool team jersey who shouted “long live Liverpool” during anti-government protests on Wednesday, over suspicion that he was inciting independence. In-Media reported that the man was across the street from police officers who were conducting stop-and-searches on a group of protesters, when he shouted: “Long live Liverpool.” Others reportedly cheered and joined in the chant, before officers detained him. The man told In-Media that police had accused him of inciting Hong Kong independence, which now is a punishable crime. He said that he has been a fan of the English soccer
Raptors guard Fred VanVleet is already in Florida with the rest of his Toronto teammates, and he knows the time to take a stand and counter the NBA plan to restart the season has passed, but his opinion on the matter has not changed. “It sucks,” VanVleet said on Monday in a videoconference of his choice to return to the court during the COVID-19 pandemic and Black Lives Matter campaign. “It’s terrible timing, but that’s been 2020 for us. We all know the right thing to do is to not play, to take a stand. Morally, yes, that makes sense, but
Legendary batsman Everton Weekes, the last of the famed West Indies “Three Ws,” died on Wednesday at the age of 95 and was hailed as “a founding father” of the sport in the Caribbean. “Our hearts are heavy as we mourn the loss of an icon. A legend, our hero, Sir Everton Weekes,” Cricket West Indies (CWI) wrote on Twitter. “Our condolences go out to his family, friends and many fans around the world. May he rest in peace.” Barbadian Weekes was part of a feared post-World War II West Indies team who also featured Clyde Walcott and Frank Worrell. Walcott died in