American Spencer Levin shot a three-under 67 to take a one-shot lead over five others in the opening round of the wind-swept US$5.7 million PGA Honda Classic on Thursday.
The blustery conditions made play difficult, but Levin handled it better than most in the first round, which was suspended because of darkness with 12 players still on the PGA National Championship course.
“It’s a different kind of golf,” Levin said. “You get in a par mode, really, where you just have to take what the course gives you. If you hit a good drive, you don’t want to get too cute and try to go at a pin, because you know pars are going to be a good score.”
South Korea’s Yang Yong-eun is tied with four others one shot off the lead at two-under 68. Yang, who is the 2009 champion, was one of just eight players in the 144 field who broke par on Thursday.
Australians Stuart Appleby and Greg Chalmers, South African Charl Schwartzel and American Kyle Stranley also shot 68.
Appleby said the key to managing the wind was limiting your mistakes.
“It still doesn’t make you feel comfortable,” he said. “I played all right. I wouldn’t call it brilliant, but I guess just consistent enough where I didn’t get on the wrong side of dropping a shot every 30 minutes, which you easily could do.”
Levin used an early tee off time to finish with four birdies and only one bogey.
Levin, who broke through the top 100 in rankings for the first time last year, lost a playoff on Sunday at the Mayakoba Golf Classic to Johnson Wagner.
“I had a real good week last week,” Levin said. “It’s funny — as a pro, you always remember the one bad shot. And then you listen to amateurs talk and they talk about the one good shot. I hit a bad drive on that playoff hole, but other than that I played great.”
The toughest hole on Thursday was the 186-yard, par-three 17th, where more than a dozen tricky tee shots landed in the water. Four players waded into the shallow water to hit balls, including Brett Quigley who needed three attempts from the drink to get his ball on the green.
Defending champion Camilo Villegas shot a disappointing 79, but still finished ahead of half a dozen players.
Tiger Woods and the world golf’s new No. 1 ranked player Martin Kaymer decided to skip this event.
‘CRIMINAL ACT’: The UCI said it ‘strongly condemns’ Dylan Groenewegen’s ‘dangerous behavior,’ which left Jakobsen in critical condition and injured other cyclists Dutch cyclist Fabio Jakobsen was in a coma on Wednesday, in “serious” condition, after he was thrown into and over a barrier at 80kph in the conclusion to the opening stage of the Tour de Pologne. Footage showed 23-year-old Jakobsen, of the Deceuninck-Quick-Step, racing elbow-to-elbow with fellow Dutchman Dylan Groenewegen of Jumbo-Visma as both men frantically tussled in a tight sprint to the line in Katowice. However, Jakobsen came off worst, somersaulting over the barriers before colliding with a photographer after Groenewegen had veered suddenly to the right, squeezing his rival into the security wall. “His condition is very serious. His life is
Growing concern over health standards in e-sports has prompted a new federation to pledge to address the problem, as players fall victim to conditions ranging from wrist injuries to obesity, stress and diabetes. The retirement of top Chinese player Jian Zihao, better known by his gaming handle “Uzi,” sent tremors through the booming sport, whose revenues are predicted to reach US$1.1 billion this year, according to industry analyst Newzoo. The 23-year-old, hailed as an “icon” of the League of Legends game, stepped away from e-sports in June, saying that “chronic stress, obesity, irregular diet, staying up late and other reasons” had given
‘COMPLICATED’: The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament ‘a decision I never wanted to take,’ but added that he would ‘rather not travel’ Defending champion Rafael Nadal has said that he would skip the US Open because of the COVID-19 pandemic, putting on hold his bid to equal Roger Federer’s men’s record for Grand Slam titles. On Tuesday, Nadal explained his decision in a series of tweets sent in Spanish and English. “The situation is very complicated worldwide. Coronavirus cases are increasing. It looks like we still don’t have control of it,” Nadal wrote. The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament scheduled to begin on Aug. 31 in New York “a decision I never wanted to take,” but added that he would “rather not
The Braves were dealt a double blow as the Mets’ Jacob deGrom struck out 10 in six innings to help New York snap a five-game skid with a 7-2 victory on Monday, and as Atlanta top pitcher Mike Soroka went down with a torn Achilles tendon in the third inning. “There’s no sugarcoating this night,” Atlanta slugger Freddie Freeman said. “It stinks. It really does.” Soroka crumpled to the ground on a seemingly routine play, breaking toward first to cover the bag on a grounder to Freeman’s right. “When you lose, in my mind, one of the top pitching arms in this entire