Police seize Ribery files
Police searched the headquarters of French soccer team Olympique Marseille (OM) on Monday and seized documents relating to Franck Ribery’s transfer from Galatasaray to OM in 2005, a police source said yesterday. Marseille prosecutors launched an investigation last year after Ribery’s agent filed a complaint against the player and Marseille for alleged irregularities related to Ribery’s transfer from the Turkish side. France forward Ribery left OM for Bayern Munich in 2007.
Bid to block book rejected
A New York judge has rejected a bid by a cryonics foundation to block the release of a book that alleges Hall of Fame member Ted Williams’ severed head was mistreated at its Arizona facility. State Supreme Court Judge James Yates issued an order on Monday saying that Larry Johnson can discuss and promote his book, the New York Daily News reported. Johnson is the author of Frozen and a former executive at the Alcor Life Extension Foundation. Johnson claims a technician took baseball-like swings at Williams’ frozen head with a wrench. Claudia Williams, the youngest child of the Red Sox star, issued a statement through an attorney saying she was “horrified and shocked” by Yates’ decision. The last player to hit over .400 in a season, Williams died in 2002 at age 83 and had his remains sent to Alcor for cryogenic storage.
Semenya must go on: ANC
South Africa’s ruling African National Congress (ANC) says champion runner Caster Semenya should continue in women’s athletics regardless of any gender tests. Party spokesman Jackson Mthembu said on Monday that Semenya had been brought up as a girl and should therefore “continue to run as a woman.” Semenya won the 800m at the world championships in August in Berlin. Before the final, the International Association of Athletics Federations said it had ordered gender tests. The ANC has set up a group to support Semenya, who it said in a statement has been “victimized and subjected to unnecessary public scrutiny.” Former president Nelson Mandela’s ex-wife, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, a prominent ANC figure and lawmaker, is to head the support group.
Fans limited to 24 beers
Fans at one of Australia’s most popular motor sport races, the Bathurst 1000, will be limited to one “slab” of beer a day — or two dozen 375ml cans — as police focus on reducing alcohol-related crime. The 24-can rule would also be placed on mixed drinks for the V8 car race starting tomorrow in the rural town of Bathurst in eastern New South Wales state, police said yesterday. More restrained spectators will be able to slake their thirst with up to 36 cans of low or mid-strength beer. Wine lovers must make do with no more than 4 litres of cask wine per day and combinations of the options would not be allowed, the police statement said. The race runs from Thursday to Sunday.
Italy into U20 quarters
Italy booked its place in the quarter-finals of the Under-20 World Cup in Cairo on Monday, beating 10-man Spain 3-1, while South Korea also advanced with a 3-0 victory over Paraguay. Spain had eased through its group games without conceding a goal, but struggled on Monday after losing Alberto Botia in the 28th minute for a foul on Andrea Mazzarani.
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
Uncertainty grips next year’s postponed Tokyo Olympic Games: Will there be fans or empty stadiums in 14 months? How will thousands of athletes, staff members and technical officials travel, be housed and stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic? And the Tokyo Games are not the only event. China, where COVID-19 was first detected, is to hold three mega-sports events in the year after the Tokyo Olympics are set to close. The World University Games in Chengdu, China, are to open, with up to 8,000 athletes, only 10 days after the Tokyo Games close. Next come the Beijing Winter Olympics beginning on Feb. 4, 2022,
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I
When South Korea’s domestic women’s golf tour held its premier event last week — without spectators because of the COVID-19 pandemic — no fewer than three of the world’s top 10 players took part. The country of 52 million people has a disproportionate share of the women’s world golf rankings, providing eight of the current top 20. In a demonstration of their prominence, South Korean women have won at least one major every season since 2010, with coronavirus cancellations perhaps the biggest threat to their run this year. The phenomenon, players and commentators have said, results from driven parents, intense training, a highly