Tillakeratne Dilshan and Ajantha Mendis led Sri Lanka to a 55-run win over hosts South Africa as the opening match of the Champions Trophy was decided by the Duckworth-Lewis scoring method on Tuesday.
Dilshan struck 106 off 92 balls as Sri Lanka amassed 319 for eight, their highest one-day score against South Africa. Spinner Mendis then claimed three for 30 as the hosts finished on 206 for seven from 37.4 overs after rain intervened.
The 24-year-old Mendis was playing against South Africa for the first time and frequently bamboozled the opposition batsmen in the Group B match.
“Dilshan has been in exceptional form from the end of last year. He has matured a lot and I think he now understands how good he really is,” Sri Lanka captain Kumar Sangakkara told reporters.
“It is very hard to play Ajantha if you have not seen him before. He has gone a long way to making a statement that he can still win matches for us. And he will become more wily, more of a thinking bowler if we can give him the right environment,” Sangakkara said.
South Africa captain Graeme Smith raced to 58 off 44 balls before being bowled by Mendis’ first delivery which zipped back into the left-hander and went through his “gate.”
Mendis also removed Jacques Kallis (41), who added 81 for the second wicket with Smith in 11 overs, when Angelo Mathews took a fine diving catch at mid-off.
JP Duminy was then bowled first ball by Mendis by the same delivery that accounted for Smith.
Earlier, Sri Lanka were sent in to bat and Dilshan powered to his third one-day international century in 87 balls, thumping 16 fours and a six.
Dilshan was ably supported by Sangakkara, who compiled 54 in a record Sri Lanka second-wicket stand against South Africa of 158.
Mahela Jayawardene (77) and Thilan Samaraweera (37) then added 116 for the fourth wicket.
South Africa next meet New Zealand at Centurion today, and Smith said his side needed to quickly improve.
The NBA said was re-evaluating its training program in China following allegations of abuse of young players by local staff and harassment of foreign staffers at a facility in Xinjiang. The comments come after a report by ESPN that quoted unnamed American coaches as saying that Chinese coaches hit young players. One American coach who worked at a camp in Xinjiang complained of harassment by local police, the sports network said. “The allegations in the ESPN article are disturbing,” NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum said in an e-mail statement on Thursday. “We ended our involvement with the basketball academy in Xinjiang in June
Coming from the business world, New York Liberty owner Joe Tsai (蔡崇信) did not understand why his WNBA franchise did not have a chief executive officer similar to the team’s NBA counterpart the Brooklyn Nets, which Tsai also owns. For Tsai, it was about equality, so he did something about it. The 56-year-old Taipei-born billionaire businessman and philanthropist promoted Keia Clarke to the position last week — making her the first chief executive officer in the team’s history. The WNBA veteran became the third black woman to currently be in charge of a franchise in the league, joining Los Angeles Sparks president
LEAVING IT LATE: Rakuten added late runs last night to add to wins on Wednesday against the Brothers and the Lions on Friday that went down to the last batter The Rakuten Monkeys rallied to post three late runs for another close win, prevailing 5-3 over the Uni-President Lions yesterday as Taiwan’s second-half CPBL season got started with lower scoring output, but exciting finishes. It was Rakuten’s third win in a row. In two games this week, they seized victory in dramatic fashion with their last at-bat and have drawn level with the CTBC Brothers on top of the table after yesterday’s results, 0.5 games in front of the Fubon Guardians and 1.5 games ahead of the Lions. It was tied at 1-1 early, with Rakuten hosting the Lions at the Taoyuan Intenational
MONEY MATTERS: While COVID-19 played a major role in the decision, the CTBA also found it hard to secure sponsorship, and ticket sales would have been affected The Yonex Taipei Open badminton tournament has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a funding shortfall, the CTBA said yesterday. This was the first time that the tournament, a Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Super 300-level competition, has been canceled since it began in 1980. The Taipei Open has been held annually since 1980. The tournament was to be played at the Taipei Arena from Sept. 1 to Sept. 6, with total prize money of US$500,000. The CTBA said that it was deeply concerned about whether the Taipei Open would proceed as scheduled after the BWF announced changes