World Cup-winning forwards Danie Rossouw, Wickus van Heerden and Gurthro Steenkamp withdrew injured on Monday from South Africa's short rugby tour of the UK.
Star scrumhalf Fourie du Preez also looks like staying home and missing the Test against Wales at Cardiff on Nov. 24 and the celebration match with the Barbarians at Twickenham on Dec. 1.
Loose forwards Rossouw and Van Heerden had neck injuries and were replaced by the Blue Bulls' Hilton Lobberts and the Sharks' Ryan Kankowski when the squad assembled yesterday, said planet-rugby.com.
Steenkamp, another starter from South Africa's World Cup final victory last month, cut his hand and had his position filled by Wian du Preez of the Currie Cup champion Cheetahs.
Fourie du Preez, who was married on Saturday, wants to have an operation on the shoulder he hurt in the Super 14, to try and be fully healed before the next Super 14 beginning in February.
Chairman of selectors Peter Jooste said they may not replace Fourie du Preez as they already had two scrumhalves in the squad in Ricky Januarie and Ruan Pienaar.
The latest changes, following last week's withdrawal of fullback Percy Montgomery with a sore knee, mean uncapped Lions prop Heinke van der Merwe was in line to make his Test debut against Wales. Van der Merwe traveled with the second-string Springboks to Australia and New Zealand in the Tri-Nations but didn't play. Kankowski, as the only specialist No. 8 in the touring squad, could also play his first Test.
Meanwhile, captain John Smit will not be released by his new French club, Clermont Auvergne, for the Barbarians game.
Meanwhile, Cardiff Blues prop Gethin Jenkins will become the 125th player to captain Wales when he leads the side against South Africa, the WRU said on Monday.
Jenkins became Wales' most capped prop at the rugby World Cup against Fiji when he overtook Dai Young's tally of 51.
"It's obviously a huge honor, probably the biggest in Welsh sport, but I wanted to be sure I could do justice to the responsibility, my goal as a player is to do everything to the highest of standards and this is no different," said Jenkins, who turns 27 this week.
"Leading the team out at the Millennium Stadium, probably in front of a packed house of home fans and against the world champions will be a pretty special way to win my first cap as captain," he said.
Jenkins takes over the captain's armband from club mate Gareth Thomas.
"Anyone who knows or has worked with Gethin will tell you he sets high standards for himself and those around him," said Wales caretaker coach Nigel Davies, who will pick the team before handing over the job to Warren Gatland on Dec. 1.
New Zealander Gatland was appointed last week to replace Gareth Jenkins, who was sacked after Wales lost to Fiji in their final pool game to miss out on the quarter-finals.
South Africa:
Forwards: Bakkies Botha, Schalk Burger, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Wian du Preez, Ryan Kankowski, Hilton Lobberts, Victor Matfield, Johann Muller, John Smit (captain), Juan Smith, Albert van den Berg, CJ van der Linde, Heinke van der Merwe. Backs: Fourie du Preez, Jaque Fourie, Bryan Habana, Conrad Jantjes, Ricky Januarie, Wayne Julies, Akona Ndungane, Wynand Olivier, Ruan Pienaar, JP Pietersen, Andre Pretorius, Francois Steyn.
ADVANTAGE ATLETICO: Well off the pace in La Liga, the Copa del Rey represents Atletico Madrid’s best chance of silverware this season Atletico Madrid on Thursday hammered Copa del Rey holders Barcelona 4-0 in the first leg of their semi-final. After an Eric Garcia own-goal sent Diego Simeone’s side ahead early on, Antoine Griezmann, Ademola Lookman and Julian Alvarez struck to give Atletico a landslide lead by halftime. Barca defender Garcia was sent off in the final stages, with Atletico maintaining their significant advantage on the record 32-time winners, which they take into the second leg at the Camp Nou on March 3. Both sides missed good chances in the second half, with Barca’s Pau Cubarsi having a goal disallowed before Garcia was sent off
Dasun Shanaka hammered the fastest half-century by a Sri Lankan in T20Is as the cohosts thrashed Oman by 105 runs at the World Cup yesterday in Pallekele, Sri Lanka, for their second win in Group B. The 2014 champions piled up 225-5, the highest total of the tournament, before restricting an outclassed Oman to 120-9. The 43-year-old Mohammad Nadeem waged a lone battle for Oman, compiling an unbeaten 53 to become the oldest player to score a 50 in T20 World Cups. Having promoted himself up the order and under pressure to deliver, Sri Lanka skipper Shanaka smashed a 19-ball half-century. It has been
Kawhi Leonard on Sunday scored 41 points, grabbed eight rebounds and made four steals to lead the Los Angeles Clippers in a lopsided 115-96 victory at Minnesota. The 34-year-old forward, a two-time NBA champion, matched the second-best road scoring effort of his career as the Clippers improved to 25-27. “Just being aggressive. My teammates trust me,” Leonard said. “Every moment when I touch the ball — assist, shooting the basketball or getting a rebound — I’m just trying to help the team win.” Leonard made three steals in a row at the start of the contest. “Just wanted to come out early in the
FLOP TO CONQUEROR: It was sweet vindication for Sam Darnold, who played for four NFL teams before his debut season in Seattle ended in the ultimate win The Seattle Seahawks on Sunday coasted to Super Bowl glory, routing the New England Patriots 29-13 as Sam Darnold sealed his journey from flop quarterback to conqueror of the NFL’s biggest prize. Brushing off a reputation for wilting in big games, journeyman quarterback Darnold threw for a touchdown and 200 yards on the grandest stage of all to give the Seahawks their second-ever Lombardi Trophy. “It’s unbelievable. Everything that has happened in my career, but to do it with this team, I wouldn’t want it any other way,” Darnold said. The victory was buoyed by a dominant defensive display and kicker Jason Myers’