South Africa claimed their second sporting title within five days thanks to a 4-3 penalty shootout victory against Zambia in the Castle Cup final on Wednesday.
The success of Bafana Bafana following a goalless draw in the central city came five days after the Springboks lifted the Rugby World Cup with a 15-6 triumph over England in Paris.
Many success-starved South African soccer followers were hoping the 'Boks would inspire a national soccer team that won the southern Africa championship just once in 10 previous attempts.
And a Bafana side lacking their Europe-based professionals rose to the occasion, hitting the woodwork twice against opponents who settled for a shootout long before full-time.
The penalty contest went the 10-kick distance with livewire midfielder Teko Modise fittingly converting the kick that brought the Castle Cup back to South Africa after a four-year absence.
Israel-bound Thembinkosi "Terror" Fanteni, Bevan Fransman and Simphiwe Tshabalala also converted spot kicks for Bafana after the first from Brett Evans was saved by Kennedy Mweene.
Ian Bakala, Kampamba Chintu and Mweene were the successful Zambian penalty takers, while Rainford Kalaba had his attempt saved by Moeneeb Josephs and James Chamanga blazed over.
Goalkeeper Josephs, who did not have a serious save to make during regulation time, was a fired-up captain, even resorting to cricket-style sledging against the Zambian penalty takers.
South Africa, seeking revenge for a 3-1 home loss to Zambia in a African Nations Cup qualifier last month, attacked from the kickoff.
Bamuza Sono, son of South African soccer legend Jomo Sono, wasted a good early chance, firing tamely at Mweene after a superb Fanteni pass split the defense.
The NBA said was re-evaluating its training program in China following allegations of abuse of young players by local staff and harassment of foreign staffers at a facility in Xinjiang. The comments come after a report by ESPN that quoted unnamed American coaches as saying that Chinese coaches hit young players. One American coach who worked at a camp in Xinjiang complained of harassment by local police, the sports network said. “The allegations in the ESPN article are disturbing,” NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum said in an e-mail statement on Thursday. “We ended our involvement with the basketball academy in Xinjiang in June
Coming from the business world, New York Liberty owner Joe Tsai (蔡崇信) did not understand why his WNBA franchise did not have a chief executive officer similar to the team’s NBA counterpart the Brooklyn Nets, which Tsai also owns. For Tsai, it was about equality, so he did something about it. The 56-year-old Taipei-born billionaire businessman and philanthropist promoted Keia Clarke to the position last week — making her the first chief executive officer in the team’s history. The WNBA veteran became the third black woman to currently be in charge of a franchise in the league, joining Los Angeles Sparks president
LEAVING IT LATE: Rakuten added late runs last night to add to wins on Wednesday against the Brothers and the Lions on Friday that went down to the last batter The Rakuten Monkeys rallied to post three late runs for another close win, prevailing 5-3 over the Uni-President Lions yesterday as Taiwan’s second-half CPBL season got started with lower scoring output, but exciting finishes. It was Rakuten’s third win in a row. In two games this week, they seized victory in dramatic fashion with their last at-bat and have drawn level with the CTBC Brothers on top of the table after yesterday’s results, 0.5 games in front of the Fubon Guardians and 1.5 games ahead of the Lions. It was tied at 1-1 early, with Rakuten hosting the Lions at the Taoyuan Intenational
MONEY MATTERS: While COVID-19 played a major role in the decision, the CTBA also found it hard to secure sponsorship, and ticket sales would have been affected The Yonex Taipei Open badminton tournament has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a funding shortfall, the CTBA said yesterday. This was the first time that the tournament, a Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Super 300-level competition, has been canceled since it began in 1980. The Taipei Open has been held annually since 1980. The tournament was to be played at the Taipei Arena from Sept. 1 to Sept. 6, with total prize money of US$500,000. The CTBA said that it was deeply concerned about whether the Taipei Open would proceed as scheduled after the BWF announced changes